A possible display issue?

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
There seems to be something strange going on with my dad's laptop and google earth. The thing is, everything works fine until he clicks on one of the pictures in google earth that people have posted of locations they have visited. When you click on one of those pictures, a little window pops up with a photo of the location and some info on it. Clicking on the photo itself will then launch firefox and take you to the site where all of the pictures are located.

The issue that my dad is having (which is really puzzling me) is that when he clicks on the photo and firefox is launched. The picture won't display in firefox when the web page loads up. Furthermore, if he clicks the "enlarge picture" button on the web page, firefox takes him to a page that says that the photo can't be rendered b/c there are errors in it. However, there are no errors because he is able to download the photos himself and then open them in firefox. I tried going through the same procedure on my tower and I don't have the error, so i figured maybe it was a problem with the way he configured firefox. I then proceeded to check his settings to make sure he hadn't globally disabled javascript or turned of rendering of images and it turned out that he was OK there too. Then, for grins, I did ssh to my tower from his laptop and launched google earth on my tower and tried to open a photo on an instance of firefox running on my machine with output on his laptop, and I get the same problem that he had before. I am not certain what is going on, and the only other thing I can think of that might cause this would be some sort of weird display driver issue.

Has anyone else heard of a problem like this before? I can't seem to find any hits for this problem on google, so I'd really appreciate any help you guys have to offer.

Thanks

-Zorak

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Here is the deal. I don't know whether or not the proprietary driver will work on my dad's laptop as it is pretty old. The integrated graphics card he is is a Mobility M6 by ATI and if I remember correctly these newer ATI drivers only support integrated radeon 9200+ or something like that. I am not sure what to call the driver he is currently using aside from "the driver that was installed by ubuntu by default", but aside from this hiccup it worked pretty well (enough to do a few compiz effects without much lag).

You think these newer drivers will support his older card? (we have trouble finding proper drivers for his card even in windows)

-Zorak