No DVD playback with Media Center and Mediaplayer

softtouch

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
Using original DVD's (Region 1 and other regions), Media Player and Media Center will not play them, getting all the time something with "content protection" bla bla bla. Note, I am talking about ORIGINAL purchased DVD's!
Copied DVD's are working perfectly fine.
The DVD drive is region free, latest NVidia Driver installed for the VC (8800GTS). PowerDVD plays any dvd just fine.
What the hell is going on with Vista, that I cant even play my original DVD's?

Check in Device Manager (or the device's properties in explorer) to see what it says under DVD Region. Although your device is region free, the DRM involved may require a specific region to be chosen, so you may want to try selecting Region 1 (if it isn't already) and see if that helps. It's not an ideal solution, but you could play other regions with PowerDVD.

softtouch

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007

There is no Region to check/set, like in XP, just General, Volumes, Driver, Details.
Strange thing is, PowerDVD plays them all, without any problem, but I like the Media Center, which plays region free dvd's just fine...

softtouch

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
I found the problem. Because my DVD drive was flashed with an auto reset firmware, Windows wont play any dvd. I flashed it now with the original firmware and Media Center and Media Player play just fine my original DVD's.

So, rcp firmware wont work under Vista...