How does eVGA's 'step up' program work?

Masterbobo

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
ive heard alot about it, but never actually know exactly how it works, and if people actaully can get the full credit they paid for after a while of using the card.

robucf4

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
ive heard alot about it, but never actually know exactly how it works, and if people actaully can get the full credit they paid for after a while of using the card.

Look at their webpage, explains it all...

shawnpaul3

Distinguished
May 31, 2006

Look at their webpage, explains it all...

Well, please forgive my ignorance, but I've gone over the website and still do not quite understand.

This is a legitimate question.

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
I did this with a 8800 GTS to GTX

-You buy your card from a legit store (No ebay)
-You register your card right once you get it.
-You have 90 days from the date you purchased the card to decide if you want to get a better one from Evga.
-If you decide to get a better card then you send in a copy of your original invoice.
-With the price you paid for you card originally they will honor that (I paid $530 I think) and you will have to pay the difference of the new card you want at the price that it sits at the present.
ie: $650-530=$120.
-You pay for the difference + S&H then send in your card.
-Once they recieve the card they will check that it still works and then send you your new card.
-Re-register and enjoy.

rowenmeister

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
EVGA will give you credit for the amount you paid, but make sure you have your invoice. The prices on their website aren't going to be competitive like Newegg, but if you have the itch to upgrade at least its there.

Basically, you click step-up on your product page. They request a copy of your invoice fax, e-mail, or mail. Once they receive and process, you are put in a queue until they process further. Then once you are approved for step-up payment you can pay. After this you have to wait for your payment to be verified. Basically more processing. After that you get an e-mail telling where you sent your card. Get a tracking number to verify where your card got sent and if received. Important. Read the threads on that. Once they process that they will ship your card.

Don't expect a fast turn around, but don't complain on board. If things are making you nervous just make a call to sort things out. I have the belief they don't sit there monitoring their message boards for every new added post. If they did that would be awesome.

senor_bob

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
EVGA will give you credit for the amount you paid, but make sure you have your invoice. The prices on their website aren't going to be competitive like Newegg, but if you have the itch to upgrade at least its there.
Actually their website prices are OK on higher end stuff. For example, the 8800GTX ACS3 is the same price Newegg had it for (before Newegg delisted it at the same time the ripoff Ultra was released). However the standard 8800GTX is 559 on Newegg, 619 on EVGA's site. If you want to step up, it would make no sense to get that card when you can get the 8800GTX SUperclocked for 629 from EVGA(+$10 vs standard GTX), which was listed at 599(+$40 vs standard GTX) on Newegg, again before being delisted when the Ultra came out.

shawnpaul3

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
I still don't see the benefit. I guess if you want to purchase the "lower end" card, and within 90 days decide to upgrade, you can. But, who would do that? Don't most people research what they want and get that? I just can't imagine going through that process. It also seems like more of a pain than anything.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
I did this with a 8800 GTS to GTX

-You buy your card from a legit store (No ebay)
-You register your card right once you get it.
-You have 90 days from the date you purchased the card to decide if you want to get a better one from Evga.
-If you decide to get a better card then you send in a copy of your original invoice.
-With the price you paid for you card originally they will honor that (I paid $530 I think) and you will have to pay the difference of the new card you want at the price that it sits at the present.
ie: $650-530=$120.
-You pay for the difference + S&H then send in your card.
-Once they recieve the card they will check that it still works and then send you your new card.
-Re-register and enjoy.

EXCEPT if u dont live in the US.. :(

Masterbobo

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
Ahh i see, i think its great, esspecially for someone wanting to get a cheap card right now to hold them over, then in 3 months time, when something that really appeals to their eye drops, just box it up and send it in to pay the difference for whatever you fancy. The thing i love the most about this program is that you get the full $ amount credited back to you for what you paid at the time even though the price may have plumeted in 3 months, thats a very good deal imo.

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
It's confusing all around. At least it was for me.

I bought a 7600 GT KO at a local vendor and decided to "step up" about a week later.
The reply e-mail I got indicated I was approved for "step up", but when I googled the serial number of the product I was to step up to (for about $50) it was another 7600 GT (if memory serves me one number on the serial # was different). Did I really need a more powerful 7600 GT than a 7600 GT KO?

I sent three e-mails to EVGA asking for clarification but none was answered.

Too complex for me.

MowTin

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
I'm too much of a procrastinator.

I bought the evga 8800 GTS...never registered it...never signed up for the step up program because I waited past the 90 days.

I didn't even get my $30 rebate from newegg.

I guess I'll have to do the ebay step up IF dx10 games need more than an 8800 GTS. So far I don't need the extra fps or extra psu drain or larger board.

prof_chaos

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
Was just considering doing this, but after seeing the prices on their product page, nvm. Atleast one card has over a $90 difference, maybe more. With those prices it's not even worth it in some cases. (mine)