Sign in with
Your question

Ie6 for Windows Server 2000

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
October 13, 2009 2:53:24 PM

Please kindly let me know the best Internet Explorer for Windows 2000 Server with SP4 32 bit. I just purchased Symantec Endpoint protection 11.0.3 and it is asking for internet explorer 6 and above during installation. I have been trying to download and install since then all to no avail.

Kindly let me know the right version and the site to down.

Thanks,

Corpnuel.
October 13, 2009 6:49:05 PM

Corpnuel said:
Please kindly let me know the best Internet Explorer for Windows 2000 Server with SP4 32 bit. I just purchased Symantec Endpoint protection 11.0.3 and it is asking for internet explorer 6 and above during installation. I have been trying to download and install since then all to no avail.

Kindly let me know the right version and the site to down.

Thanks,

Corpnuel.

You can get it here. I believe IE6 is the highest version that will work on Windows 2000.
m
l
October 13, 2009 10:36:02 PM

Confirmed, ie6.0sp1 is officially the latest on W2k of any variant.
Same for oe6.0sp1, which comes with ie6.
Don't forget all updates!

MS09-034 KB972260 latest cumulative ie6 (unless one came today)
MS09-037 KB973354 latest cumulative oe6 (same reserve)
and then you may want to add
MS08-052 KB938464
MS06-022 KB918439
MS05-044 KB905495
which are NOT included in the cumulative updates.

ActiveX kill bits were sometimes provided as parts of IE updates, now rather as W2k... And they're not necessarily a good thing!

Other browsers run on W2k. It's a matter of taste. Having ie updated is a good idea anyway, even if you use another one.
m
l
October 13, 2009 10:58:22 PM

As Microsoft will end its support for W2k on July 2010 and ie6.0sp1 is replaced by 6.0sp2 on Xp, I strongly suggest to download a full installer of 6.0sp1!

What you get is generally an online installer weighing 481kB whose sole role is to download what you need to install ie6... Provided that
- You computer has Internet access...
- Microsoft still provides ie6.0sp1...
See what I mean?

The procedure to get the full offline installer (MS calls it "network version") isn't obvious, but this is how I got mines (one per language):

- Get the small installer ie6setup.exe there
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
put it at a simple location, I take C:\ in the command lines below.

- Start > Execute
C:\ie6setup.exe /c:"ie6wzd.exe /d /s:""#E"""
(copy this line exactly with all quotes, paste it with Ctrl-V or right clic)
give a destination directory, and rename the directory once downloaded, especially if downloading several languages. Also purge IE temporaries between two downloads.
The ie6setup.exe you get is bigger than the first one.

- Keep IE open during the download, preferably displaying the Google page. Disable your firewall or stay at the computer, as it will keep asking for instructions. Disable any automatic disconnection. Move the ie6setup.exe loader's window to a corner of your screen where the firewall doesn't put its own, and don't cover ie6setup.exe loader's window: the loader doesn't repaint the windows but needs answers...

You may rename the big installer, or expand it (more files including a setup one, each compressed, same global size).

Options include the target OS you want; you may chose several ones and have one big installer, or separate several less big installers. ie6.0sp1 is the official latest IE for W98-98se-Me-Nt4.0-2k.

Language differs and is determined by the small (online) installer.

-----

ie6 isn't designed my MS to be slipstreamed into W2k but HfSlip does it neatly.
http://www.msfn.org/board/hfslip-f129.html
Same for dX9.0c and Wmp9 and many more.
m
l
!