Webmistress

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
First -- I'm glad I found this forum it has given me good insight on upgrading my "dinosaur" until I graduate. So... here I am down to three cards that I want to upgrade from; and even though I have read about AGP on Wiki as well as my mobo UM I still am stuck over which card will work with my board.

I have an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe with 1x AGP 8x (1.5v only), 2 GB RAM, 2.4ghz P4 processor and a 420w PSU. The cards I am considering are the:

1. BFG NVIDIA GeForce 6200 OC 256MB AGP
2. BFG Gf 6600GT Agp and the VERY elusive...
3. MSI NX6600-VTD256 GeForce 6600 256MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card.

I really like the MSI and BFG 6600 series but am concerned that I would need extra power to run it correctly. Even after reading about the cards on the Mfr websites I'm still unclear about whether either one of them would work on my mobo. (It looks like the MSI has a 3 pin connector...?)

Does anyone have one of these cards? (I know they are kinda ancient...) Helpful advice is surely appreciated.

Thanks!

Farhang

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
Hi man & welcome to the tg Forumz! :D :twisted:
First of all you can use ANY AGP card with your system.you may just need to change your power supply for some high end AGP cards (like GeForce 7800GS or ATI X1950Pro)
From the 3, BFG 6600GT is the best but if you have the money, there are much better AGP graphics cards out there...For example an ATI X1950Pro is about 5x faster than these three but you will need a better power supply for it.
even if you do not wish to change your power supply, a GeForce 7600GS AGP is much better than these three(and a little more expensive).
Good Luck!
sorry for my poor English :tongue:

Webmistress

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
Thanks guys for responding. I can't change out my PSU right now - I will do that when I have more $$ to just get a whole new rebuild, but I figured I could swing a decent cheap GC.

Since the BFG and the MSI both are 6600 cards does that mean I would have to change out my PSU? My biggest concern is the 1.5v vs. 3.3 v thing.

Quote from the BFG website: "An available hard disk drive power dongle" (smaller floppy disk drive connector is not sufficient)

Will either of the 6600 cards run without extra PSU power?

BTW - I'm a girl :lol:

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
You're power supply should be sufficient for any of the 3 cards you listed.

You should tell us your budget as there could quite possibly be better cards available for the price.

XFXSupport

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
You shouldnt have any problems with the AGP voltage as most six series and newer AGP cards are both 4x and 8x AGP compatible.

XFX Support

Webmistress

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
tell us your budget as there could quite possibly be better cards available for the price.

My budget - $80 max

Just curious, why are you wanting to upgrade? If it's for games, a 6600 won't do much for you.

Yeah it mainly is for games. I have an FX5200 right now and I know the "seasons" in S2 Seasons would play so much better. But I also want to upgrade for digital pix and Photoshop CS.

You're power supply should be sufficient for any of the 3 cards you listed.

Not to sound like a broken record but does that mean I would not have to power the 6 series cards with a Y connector from my HD?
Because I got the chance to try out a 7600 512 AGP and it would not even boot until it was getting juice from the HD/PSU but I had to disable one of my drives to even get that far. Then when it did work it was fuzzy and couldn't find the drivers or the NVIDIA desktop. But even that card only asked for a 300w PSU "minimum".

Basically what it boils down to is I wanted to get the best AGP card it could handle without having to get a new PSU or divert power and it just seemed like the 6 series cards didn't require all of that juice from the HD like the 6600 and up.

I'm partial to Nvidia, but I may be willing to try ATI

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
My budget - $80 max

Why so low? The graphics card is the only thing that truly matters, spend more on it.
You can find a 7600 GS for that though, and i reccomend it.

Not to sound like a broken record but does that mean I would not have to power the 6 series cards with a Y connector from my HD?
Because I got the chance to try out a 7600 512 AGP and it would not even boot until it was getting juice from the HD/PSU but I had to disable one of my drives to even get that far. Then when it did work it was fuzzy and couldn't find the drivers or the NVIDIA desktop. But even that card only asked for a 300w PSU "minimum".

No, it means that even if u were to connect a 6-pin power connector to the card, it would still not work because the PSU does not give enough power.
Although i think it may be able to give enough power for a 7600 GS to work OK.
The minimum requirement in watts means absolutely nothing.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
The thing is that I'm pretty sure that almost all of the newer AGP cards require additional power from the PSU because the slot doesn't provide enough power. It's why you'll see a PCI-E 7600GT require no additional power from the PSU but it's AGP counterpart will. One thing to note. A 7600GS uses less power than a 6600GT because of the manufacturing process and architecture. These AGP variants will not run without additional power from the PSU. I suspect the issues you have (fuzzy) were driver related. It's best to remove the old card's drivers first, remove the card, install the new one and then load the new card's drivers.

Another good option for you and your budget is eBay. There are lots of good deals on ATI X800 series cards (Pros, XLs, XTs, no SEs though) or nVidia 6800 series (except the XT version) of cards. Just make sure you're getting an AGP and not a PCI-E version.

You can pick up a Molex Y-connector at just about any computer shop for cheap. I think even BestBuy carries them.

Webmistress

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
I hear what you guys are saying. I have seen nothing but glowing reviews on the 6600GT. And I would love to have one.

Here's the rub: I have a case with 2 rear fans and 1 side fan, a floppy (yea a floppy.) drive and 2 HD's hooked up to one PSU. Hence why I had to take one HD off to even try out the 7600. Aside from a new PSU is there anything I can do to run this card properly since everything is all hooked up? Otherwise I think my computer made up my mind for me.

margag_

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2005
The important thing is the 12v rail amp of you psu

forget the 6600gt it is a waste of money it is a ''minimum card for gaming''

Post the details of you psu ''sticker'' and you will have youre answer.

I hear what you guys are saying. I have seen nothing but glowing reviews on the 6600GT. And I would love to have one.

I understand, but those reviews are old, the GF7600GS will mop the floor with the GF6600GT, and doing it at lower power consumption like Anoobis mentions.

gf6600gtv7600gspowerql2.jpg

And performance isn't even close.

IMO add 5Watts to the above for the HSI AGP-PCIe bridge.

Here's the rub: I have a case with 2 rear fans and 1 side fan, a floppy (yea a floppy.) drive and 2 HD's hooked up to one PSU. Hence why I had to take one HD off to even try out the 7600.

The GF 7600 comes with a splitter cable;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?Image=14-130-076-09.jpg%2c14-130-076-02.jpg%2c14-130-076-03.jpg%2c14-130-076-04.jpg%2c14-130-076-05.jpg%2c14-130-076-06.jpg%2c14-130-076-07.jpg%2c14-130-076-08.jpg&CurImage=14-130-076-06.jpg&Depa=1&Description=EVGA+256-A8-N542-T2+GeForce+7600GS+256MB+128-bit+GDDR2+AGP+4X%2f8X+Video+Card+-+Retail

You can use to run your two FANs of of one power connector (don't run one of the splitters on the GF, not wise)

Aside from a new PSU is there anything I can do to run this card properly since everything is all hooked up? Otherwise I think my computer made up my mind for me.

That splitter should solve your problem and let you get the better performing lower power consuming option.

IMO, it's a no-brainer the GF7600GS is the one perfect for your needs. Heck if you could get a GF7600GT even better.