XP won't boot if I have a CD/DVD in drive - Error

MMclachlan

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
I have recently set up a new rig and I have a strange problem where XP won't boot up if I have a CD in the drive. Take it out and it boots up fine. The DVD-RW drive in question reads and writes fine, so I swapped it over from pri to sec ide and it booted fine with a cd in. Then my X1950XT which has an overheating problem at the moment (rubbish peltier TEC cooler that is soon to be in the bin!) caused a crash and on re-boot I get the same problem again. When starting up it accesses the drive as part of the BIOS sequence fine, gets to the initial XP loading screen with the bar moving across then it accesses it again before the welcome screen and re-boots.
When it happens there is a XP blue screen error, but it flashes up so quickly before it re-starts i have no idea what the error is.
I have disabled the DVD-RW in the BIOS boot list - still get the problem. Tried removing it from the Windows device list and still get the problem.
Any ideas?

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
If you are able to get into windows disable the automatic restart option, that way at least you'll be able to read the blue screen.

I don't remember where exactly do you disable the automatic restart but if you google it you should be able to do it.

MMclachlan

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
I found the automatic restart option in Control Panel/System/Advanced/Startup and Recovery/Settings
The error message cites wmxlcore.sys as the problem file.
After researching this file I found it is to do with Logitech's gamepad software. I uninstalled and reinstalled the software and I still have the same problem!