DoomGoon

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2007
I just recently had to get rid of a virus, and even though multiple virus check software says that I'm clean, I'm still having trouble in that I can't connect to the internet through dialup anymore. Looking through avasts log shows that kernel32.dll, winsock.dll, and wsock32.dll were all infected, so I believe that there is residual corruption on these files.

Because I can't just replace kernel32.dll, I was wondering if there was a way I could fix both winsock.dll and winsock32.dll. I have my xp reinstall disk and was thinking maybe I could extract it from there, but have no idea how to do this.

Thanks for any and all help!

jayemm

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2007
I have a similar problem and am not getting anywhere and losing hair and sanity fast.

I get a wsock32.dll is missing or invalid message and cannot communicate with my broadband router and hence internet. I am on XP SP2.

I have tried numerous things including repairing the file from the XP CD, but this did not work.

Any suggestions that work will be rewarded by over-the-top expressions of appreciation and gratitude.

Thanks

jayemm

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2007
OK, I have managed to solve my problem. See how this works for you.

On your XP CD go to the Support/Tools folder and double-click on setup.exe.

Then install the "Complete" set of tools (these include Networking etc).

Once done, go to Start, Run, Command and type in the command "netsh winsock reset"

Then restart your PC. This solved all my problems.

I found this out in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259