CableCard Question

I've got a Sony KD-34XS955 (34" tube HDTV) to be delivered tomorrow and then
Comcast (Atlanta) is coming about 10 days later to install a CableCard to
give me HD. I chose to eliminate the set-top HD box since my new TV will
have the CableCard feature.

It seemed like a no-brainer until I started reading about people complaining
about the online guide capabilities built in to the TVs offering CableCard.
I use Comcast's guide fairly heavily now to see what's on when as well as to
read about various movies. Can anyone who has a Sony implementation of the
CableCard technology give me an idea of whether or not the guide in the TV
is a worthy replacement or am I going to be happier with the HD box? Does
the guide only give what's on or can you get information about the program
like you can with the cable company's digital box?

Thanks,

John
5 answers Last reply
More about cablecard question

    jc wrote:

    > I've got a Sony KD-34XS955 (34" tube HDTV) to be delivered tomorrow and then
    > Comcast (Atlanta) is coming about 10 days later to install a CableCard to
    > give me HD. I chose to eliminate the set-top HD box since my new TV will
    > have the CableCard feature.
    >
    > It seemed like a no-brainer until I started reading about people complaining
    > about the online guide capabilities built in to the TVs offering CableCard.
    > I use Comcast's guide fairly heavily now to see what's on when as well as to
    > read about various movies. Can anyone who has a Sony implementation of the
    > CableCard technology give me an idea of whether or not the guide in the TV
    > is a worthy replacement or am I going to be happier with the HD box? Does
    > the guide only give what's on or can you get information about the program
    > like you can with the cable company's digital box?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > John

    When I checked with my local Time-Warner cable company about the cablecard
    feature they said I would lose the online guide capabilities until some time in
    the future when it could be incorporated. So It seems that it is not TV
    dependent wrt cablecard. I'm staying with the HD box for now as I have come to
    rely on the guide..

    George

    "George" <steber@execpc.com> wrote in message

    > jc wrote:
    >
    > > I've got a Sony KD-34XS955 (34" tube HDTV) to be
    delivered tomorrow and then
    > > Comcast (Atlanta) is coming about 10 days later to
    install a CableCard to
    > > give me HD. I chose to eliminate the set-top HD box
    since my new TV will
    > > have the CableCard feature.
    > >
    > > It seemed like a no-brainer until I started reading
    about people complaining
    > > about the online guide capabilities built in to the TVs
    offering CableCard.
    > > I use Comcast's guide fairly heavily now to see what's
    on when as well as to
    > > read about various movies. Can anyone who has a Sony
    implementation of the
    > > CableCard technology give me an idea of whether or not
    the guide in the TV
    > > is a worthy replacement or am I going to be happier with
    the HD box? Does
    > > the guide only give what's on or can you get information
    about the program
    > > like you can with the cable company's digital box?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > John
    >
    > When I checked with my local Time-Warner cable company
    about the cablecard
    > feature they said I would lose the online guide
    capabilities until some time in
    > the future when it could be incorporated. So It seems
    that it is not TV
    > dependent wrt cablecard. I'm staying with the HD box for
    now as I have come to
    > rely on the guide..
    >
    > George

    Isn't there also a problem with cablecards not displaying CC
    info...box is needed at present I think. ...tonyC

    If the TV doesn't say something about having its own channel guide then you
    won't be able to get the one that you would see with a cable box. The only
    TVs I know of with their own channel guide are the Mitsubishi xx825 DLPs.
    Even with those I think they had some trouble with it (maybe licensing) and
    are sending out a firmware upgrade soon.

    You also will not be able to enjoy features such as On Demand if you are
    using CableCard. By the way, I very highly recommend Comcast's new
    dual-tuner HD DVR. The user interface is finally really good and it
    completely detaches you from having to pay attention to when stuff is on.
    If you're going to have a box sitting around you might as well have a box
    with tons of great functionality!

    Brad

    "jc" <johnc_22 @ yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I've got a Sony KD-34XS955 (34" tube HDTV) to be delivered tomorrow and
    > then Comcast (Atlanta) is coming about 10 days later to install a
    > CableCard to give me HD. I chose to eliminate the set-top HD box since my
    > new TV will have the CableCard feature.
    >
    > It seemed like a no-brainer until I started reading about people
    > complaining about the online guide capabilities built in to the TVs
    > offering CableCard. I use Comcast's guide fairly heavily now to see what's
    > on when as well as to read about various movies. Can anyone who has a
    > Sony implementation of the CableCard technology give me an idea of whether
    > or not the guide in the TV is a worthy replacement or am I going to be
    > happier with the HD box? Does the guide only give what's on or can you
    > get information about the program like you can with the cable company's
    > digital box?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > John

    "jc" <johnc_22 @ yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I've got a Sony KD-34XS955 (34" tube HDTV) to be delivered tomorrow and
    > then Comcast (Atlanta) is coming about 10 days later to install a
    > CableCard to give me HD. I chose to eliminate the set-top HD box since my
    > new TV will have the CableCard feature.
    >
    > It seemed like a no-brainer until I started reading about people
    > complaining about the online guide capabilities built in to the TVs
    > offering CableCard. I use Comcast's guide fairly heavily now to see what's
    > on when as well as to read about various movies. Can anyone who has a
    > Sony implementation of the CableCard technology give me an idea of whether
    > or not the guide in the TV is a worthy replacement or am I going to be
    > happier with the HD box? Does the guide only give what's on or can you
    > get information about the program like you can with the cable company's
    > digital box?

    Your Sony TV will have a Guide feature, at least mine (KDF-60XS955) does,
    that has the capability of showing the channel # and name, name of the
    program and a program description. But this information has to come down
    the cable along with the program signal. The cable company -- at least
    Time-Warner here in Austin -- does not provide it. So your Sony TV Guide
    will just show the channel # and name, such as "1522 INHD2" and "No Program
    Information". If you are really dependent on the Cable Program Guide, well,
    I think you will have to keep the cable box. I imagine there is just no
    upside for the cable company in providing guide information, since they want
    you to keep your two-way box so they can sell you pay-per-view, I-control
    movies, etc.

    mack
    austin

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 02:42:05 GMT, "Mack McKinnon"
    <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote:

    >... If you are really dependent on the Cable Program Guide, well,
    >I think you will have to keep the cable box. I imagine there is just no
    >upside for the cable company in providing guide information, since they want
    >you to keep your two-way box so they can sell you pay-per-view, I-control
    >movies, etc.
    >
    >mack
    >austin

    not to mention keeping track of everything you watch.

HDTV TV Home Theatre