paulpod

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I installed this new patch and it seems to help local file copies but does nothing for copying from an XP folder share.

Are there ANY ENGINEERS on the Vista team at MS? Or is Vista just a marketing exercise? Why can't they see this as a complete dealbreaker and fix it?

Same hardware that boots XP and copies files at 30MB/s from a second XP system can only copy at 5MB/s when booted to Vista. All the latest drivers and updates are installed. Initiating the copy from XP to a Vista folder share gets the full 30MB/s but that requires RDP or walking to the XP system.

Copying from Vista to the XP folder gets 25MB/s. So there are no problems with my networking.

I have tried ALL the workarounds. Mapped drive, thumbnails disabled, SMB settings, xcopy.exe, etc.

Of course, since they are making it impossible in Vista to manually manage you own media files, I guess this will be a non-issue for them. But these are legally captured files from an HD tuner card and I believe I have the right to copy them from one PC to another.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006

This has little to do with the type of file as much as the hardware drivers. I'm not sure by what you mean when you've stated you've tried ALL workarounds. As has been pointed out, what other things are occuring during the copy? Audio is an obvious issue. Also, some mb man. like ASUS have specific issues with Maxtor drives - is it specific to a hard disk manufacturer or any drive manufacturer? On some mb, BIOS patches are available for this particular issue - are you at the latest BIOS and firmware releases? Are you noticing resource spikes or is it pinning the CPU at all?

dsharp9000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
i agree with pk that it does not relate to type of file. I saw an improvement with the patch concerning the slow file copy in some cases; but not in all. I have traced it to a problem or bug with explorer as if you use opus 9 or an external file manager the problems seems to go away; thus not hardware problem but something in vista. I theorize that multiple processes are going within explorer that somehow conflicts with each other thereby tying up the system as processes must reconcile or process is not completed or takes longer; but is theory on my part. Try opus 9, see if that makes difference (they have free trial version though i must say i am not trying to promote opus 9 as ultimate solution).