Crashes on a Home build. Is it the X1950XT to blame?

wella691

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
Ladies and gentleman,

I built my new home PC about 3 weeks ago and all has been good apart from some random Blue screen crashes now and then. I wonder if anyone can help. First the system...

Operating System Windows Vista 64
Motherboard : Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi
CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (running at 2.4ghz)
Hard Drives : 1 x Western Digital Raptor WD360ADFD 36GB SATA for operating system and 2 x Seagate 7200.10 320GB SATAII in RAID 1 for data integrety
Graphics Card : Connect 3D Radeon X1950XT
Memory : OCZ (OCZ2G8002GK) 2GB (2x1024MB) DDR2-800 PC2-6400 CL 5-5-5-12 Gold[/b]

Ok the problem. Basically i think that my graphics cards is causing the system to crash and reboot.

These crashes happen when i open windows media centre and when i try and play games, but only sometimes. I also get warnings sometimes that the driver for my graphics card "stopped working and has recovered"

I have tried to download the latest drivers for the card and i have reinstalled the graphics card completerly all to no success.

Has anyone got any ideas?
Anyone experianced similar?
Anyone got ant ideas of what to do next?
Is the windows media center crashes different to the graphics card problem

All th erest of the PC is running really well.

Thanks in advance for any help

Paul

wella691

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
A pic of my windows problems with lots of "Video Hardware Errors"

If it is my video card then what can i do to solve it?

P

wella691

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
Power supply : Hiper 530W Black Type-R Modular PSU

Everything is stock speed yes.

But i did press the software overclocking button for the graphics card. But that was it i didnt mess with it. Plus since then i have reloaded the software so it looks as thougth the button hasnt been pressed at all.

I cannot run the memtest cause its a 64 bit system!

Paul

wella691

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
Just read that memtest will work with 64 bit but i dont have a floppy drive and it wants to boot from floppy

so im still stuck

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
What PSU? Try downloading Microsoft memory tester. Borrow a USB floppy to run diagnostics. Knoppix CD comes with Memtest, you boot from the CD, then type memtest from the prompt. Have you tried reseating the video card?

Mike.

sailer

Splendid
I dont seem to be able to get memtest to run. Any tips?

Rather than assuming something, download memtest to the cd. Reboot and specify the cd drive as first boot if it isn't that already. Reboot with the memtest cd in the drive. Memtest should take over from there.

The Hyper 530wt is a good psu, but it might not have enough watts for your machine. I'd look for something around 600wt if memtest finds no errors in the ram.

Another thing to check if the graphics card tempterature. I've had trouble with my X1900 XTX Toxic overheating and when it does, it pops me out of games. But that hasn't ever caused the entire system to crash and reboot yet. As a result, I suspect that your psu may not be handling the load and it is overheating and crashing out everything in an attempt to save the system.

VideoQuasar

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Thanks for posting your error page. It helps and Looks familiar......

I use Vista U 64 also and had some problems with my ATI X1950 Pro card. I came to the conclusion that the Catalyst drivers SUCK and when I went back to Nvidia and it's driver 100.65, then all my problems with that went away.

However, your PSU is border line for all the components that you have that I can see. If its 12v Multi rail, the power issue is compounded. Looks like good RAM in there, so I think you will find that to be ok.

Are you expecting and prepared to make changes on your first build?

VQ