rush_123

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
Hi Everyone,

I have Windows Vista Ultimate. everytime i play BF2142 after a couple of map loading i get the message that windows is running out memroy. I always get killed afcourse during this time as it minimizes BF2142. the system is a little old. Athlon 64 3200+ @2.5GHZ
2 GB Ram from Gskill at DRR 400
about 740 GB of HDD
X800 series video card
i changed teh page file sytem to 100MB, i was wondering if anyone else is getting this when playing any games, and is there anyway to disable the notification. thanks

rush_123

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
I don’t like page filing, the reason it is 100MB it is because I got a warning that the system would not be able to recover in case of a problem(like a bad driver). Plus I see a performance hit on BF2142 ( since it is the only game I have that requires a lot of ram) after a while, frame rate drop. I mean 1.7GB are used when I check the ram usage that is quite short of 2gb.

Doesn't matter... some programs REQUIRE a pagefile and will not function properly without one. It is a myth that performance increases by shrinking or eliminating the pagefile. If you want to increase performance via the pagefile, the only way to do that is move the pagefile to a serparate hard drive. I have 1GB of RAM and a 2GB pagefile on another hard drive... no slowdowns for me.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006

In the modern Windows world, paging has less to do with RAM available than it used to. Many games and apps now expect there to be a large page file to swap to for things that require a long time in app memory while they are using a RAM swap simultaneously for shorter time periods. I use to see it occasionally, but it now seems to be appearing more and more often.