Troublesome Keyboard Error

bayne

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
My friend's laptop has a really crazy keyboard issue. Essentially, a few keys will type two keys, one correct, another in close proximity; always the same pairs. For example: Q types Q and `, W types W and F1, P types P and -. Any external USB keyboard I plug in does not exhibit this problem. It is only with the built in keyboard. At first I thought it was a windows problem, but when I boot from CD into a preinstalled environment or DOS the problem is still there leading me to think it's a hardware issue. I have since replaced both the keyboard and the motherboard, but to no avail. I'm not sure what to do next... you'd think changing the keyboard, motherboard, and booting from CD would show some improvement. I don't see how the memory or the CPU could cause this, as those are the only two components I haven't swapped out.

Much thanks for any help!

Well I would have said the keyboard must have had something spilled on it... but since you've replaced it and it's still doing the same thing... I'm not sure. The only thing I can suggest is to ensure there's nothing under the keyboard that could be shorting it. If pressing one key results in multiple keys being depressed... then something is causing the other keys to make contact as well.