Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

How do I view the clipboard using Vista?

Last response: in Windows Vista
Share
August 23, 2007 12:55:55 PM

I found a file in windows/system32 called clip.exe but it isn't opening anything. It looks like it's trying to open something, a window opens and then closes again, but it happens so fast I can't tell if its even the clipboard viewer trying to open or something else. Can anyone help me to open my clipboard viewer, if its even available in Windows Vista?

More about : view clipboard vista

August 23, 2007 4:58:10 PM

After some more searching I have found an answer. In case anyone else is wondering the same thing I'm posting what I found. I don't know if this is the only answer or if it's the best answer, but it worked for me.

From what I understand, you can't view the clipboard in Windows Vista. If you can find someone who has Windows XP and get them to send a copy of clipbrd.exe from their c/windows/system32 folder, you can copy that file into the same folder in Vista and it works, easiest to create a shortcut to that from wherever you find easiest to open it from (eg: desktop, quicklaunch or start menu)
Score
0
August 24, 2007 12:48:17 AM

Glad you solved it, thanks for posting back with your solution to help future people.
Score
0
Related resources
July 21, 2009 8:19:28 PM

dal said:
After some more searching I have found an answer. In case anyone else is wondering the same thing I'm posting what I found. I don't know if this is the only answer or if it's the best answer, but it worked for me.

From what I understand, you can't view the clipboard in Windows Vista. If you can find someone who has Windows XP and get them to send a copy of clipbrd.exe from their c/windows/system32 folder, you can copy that file into the same folder in Vista and it works, easiest to create a shortcut to that from wherever you find easiest to open it from (eg: desktop, quicklaunch or start menu)

how about if your like me and dont know anyone with xp, we still have a problem finding the elusive clipboard :heink: 
Score
0
November 18, 2009 4:15:33 AM

Hi!
Clip.exe simply opens and closes because it needs to be run within a command prompt/window.
The sad news is, it's not actually a "Clipboard Viewer," like we used to have in previous versions of Windows. It's just used to redirect things into the clipboard via a command.
I have a vague memory of sometime in my past, some OS I've used (X Windows? NeXT?) that had a queue of items in the clipboard instead of just one item. This was quite useful. I've often went to paste something important, only to discover that I unwittingly erased it by copying something else into the clipboard. :( 
Kind regards,
Jonas
Score
0
April 2, 2010 9:43:45 PM

open START key (bottom left ikon of dest top)) go to WORD. look on upper right box says "getting
started" choose "clipboard"
basically it is hidden in WORD
Score
0
Anonymous
April 26, 2010 9:31:14 PM

I really hate word for vista, it's much more complicated but I just figured it out.
Open Word
Open the Home Tab
And in the top left corner right under the paste button there is a little sliver with the word, clipboard.
Score
0
April 27, 2010 4:57:11 PM

Word or Wordpad? Word does NOT come with Vista... it is a separate product and it also bundled with MS Office. Some OEMs will have a 60-day trial version installed and others will have it as an option to purchase when purchasing the computer.
Score
0
April 28, 2010 3:16:27 PM

ruthfolsom said:
open START key (bottom left ikon of dest top)) go to WORD. look on upper right box says "getting
started" choose "clipboard"
basically it is hidden in WORD




Thank you for this tip.... it was on the left top for me, anyway I found it and I truly apppreciate your post. Kathy
Score
0
June 8, 2010 7:43:04 AM

ruthfolsom said:
open START key (bottom left ikon of dest top)) go to WORD. look on upper right box says "getting
started" choose "clipboard"
basically it is hidden in WORD


this only shows the thing I just accidentlly put in there. I wanted the thing that was there before I made the copy mistake. I guess a cumulative list doesn't exist.
Score
0
August 26, 2010 2:07:59 AM

adopted said:
Hi!
Clip.exe simply opens and closes because it needs to be run within a command prompt/window.
The sad news is, it's not actually a "Clipboard Viewer," like we used to have in previous versions of Windows. It's just used to redirect things into the clipboard via a command.
I have a vague memory of sometime in my past, some OS I've used (X Windows? NeXT?) that had a queue of items in the clipboard instead of just one item. This was quite useful. I've often went to paste something important, only to discover that I unwittingly erased it by copying something else into the clipboard. :( 
Kind regards,
Jonas



Search CyberMatrix Clipboard Magic 4 (freeware). I am just now trying it and no conclusions yet, it is text only, however, it's free.
Score
0
August 26, 2010 8:46:44 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!