(URGENT) Direct3D Won't Work

JesseW

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
A few weeks back, after crashing out of NWN2, my computer stopped being able to run anything using Direct3D. When I try to run a Direct3D game, it invariably crashes, and when I do manage to get it to render something, it's loaded with artifacts and screw-ups. Even the little spinning Nvidia logo in the Nvidia control panel (the one that shows sample image quality settings) is screwy. I suspect the issue is with the DirectX software, for a few reasons:

1) I get DirectX-related error messages sometimes (or when I get an error message, it's either DX related or it tells me my graphics drivers have failed)
2) OpenGL apps work fine (i.e. Quake III runs perfectly)
3) DXDIAG Direct3D tests sometimes fail (and even when they 'pass' they're glitchy and nothing else works)

This problem has been infuriating: it occurred once before and then sort of took care of itself when I installed the 98.xx Nvidia drivers. Now it has come back and I can't shake it - I've tried uninstalling the drivers, reinstalling all sorts of older Nvidia drivers, I've tried messing with DX, and pretty much everything else that came to mind. Thoughts?

Athlon 64 Socket 754 @ 2.0 ghz.
512 mb RAM
Nvidia 7600GT (AGP, from XFX)

Shinedog

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Welcome to the club man. I have the same problem. Any game I fire up in OpenGL works fine, can play for hours in WoW without a problem using OpenGL. But any Direct3D game crashes with a BSOD on NV4_DISP.DLL. WoW will sometimes crash with a memory error a few times before it will BSOD but I can reproduce the BSOD with FEAR's "test settings" button 100% of the time. The 162.* drivers are shite.