Sign in with
Your question

Load BIOS on dormant computer

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
November 9, 2009 7:17:51 PM

When loading the drivers during a Win2K reinstal on another machine, I inadvertantly went into the BIOS Flash Update application. I cancelled this, carried on installing drivers and after a restart, the whole system went dead, except for a continuous series of beeps, ±2 per second.

The display is black, keyboard/mouse do not respond, power button does not respond and the only way to power down is to kill the mains at the back of the PSU.

The BIOS is Phoenix Award - I've downloaded a fresh copy from ECS together with the WinFlash - any ideas on how to get it onto the bleeping machine, anyone, please?
November 9, 2009 9:35:24 PM

Phoenix also do a dos based installer. You could try making a Dos boot disk, copying the BIOS file and the installer to the disk and then making a short Autoexec.bat that calls the bios installer program. It might just get you going.

It sounds like the update failed and that you might have bricked your BIOS, all is not lost if this is the case as you can replace the chip but it's a HW task :( 
November 9, 2009 10:56:07 PM

I hope the BIOS isn't messed up as this is a biggie.

There might be hope though as the beep code you described, I have come across before, albeit on an older Compaq & newish HP (if I remember right).

It would be coincidental, but the Phoenix Award beep code states:

AWARD BIOS ERROR BEEP CODES

There are 2 main beep codes for the Award BIOS:
1. one long beep and two short beeps - Video error (reseat or replace video card)
2. two short beeps - Non-Fatal Error (reseat RAM, check other components)

Reference:

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/post-beep-codes.ht...

Beep codes are repeated and the pattern on the page shows what the initial beep code is then pause and continue. In your case 2 short beeps, pause, 2 short beeps, pause.... etc

First thing to try before reflashing the BIOS is to reseat the RAM.

As I have said, I have come across the same beep code before and it was RAM causing it. The symptoms were also the same, no POST, just power up, fans running and continuous beeps.
Related resources
November 10, 2009 9:02:04 PM

audiovoodoo said:
Phoenix also do a dos based installer. You could try making a Dos boot disk, copying the BIOS file and the installer to the disk and then making a short Autoexec.bat that calls the bios installer program. It might just get you going.

It sounds like the update failed and that you might have bricked your BIOS, all is not lost if this is the case as you can replace the chip but it's a HW task :( 

Hallo. Thanx for your concern and suggestions. I'll follow these up and let you know how I get on.

FYI, the way I see it is that had I been trying to update the BIOS, it might have gone OK but I wasn't. The net result was an "nothing" update and a wiped BIOS. The trouble is I know enough to be dangerous if you get my meaning...
November 10, 2009 9:09:31 PM

btk1w1 said:
I hope the BIOS isn't messed up as this is a biggie.

There might be hope though as the beep code you described, I have come across before, albeit on an older Compaq & newish HP (if I remember right).

It would be coincidental, but the Phoenix Award beep code states:

AWARD BIOS ERROR BEEP CODES

There are 2 main beep codes for the Award BIOS:
1. one long beep and two short beeps - Video error (reseat or replace video card)
2. two short beeps - Non-Fatal Error (reseat RAM, check other components)

Reference:

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/post-beep-codes.ht...

Beep codes are repeated and the pattern on the page shows what the initial beep code is then pause and continue. In your case 2 short beeps, pause, 2 short beeps, pause.... etc

First thing to try before reflashing the BIOS is to reseat the RAM.

As I have said, I have come across the same beep code before and it was RAM causing it. The symptoms were also the same, no POST, just power up, fans running and continuous beeps.

Hallo. Sounds optimistic and your analysis of the beep sequence is correct, 2 together and a pause, repeating ad infinitum, no POST, fans running, no ROM/Floppy drives having any effect, blank, dark screen.

I've reseated the RAM cards but sadly, no change. May have to buy a replacement board as need that m/c back online...
!