New build New Problems please help me

biohazard420420

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Add this to the million other i have problems list. LOL Ok I just bought my new rig from newegg got it in and put it together over the past 2 days. Now last night I go to power the system on for the first time and it powers up, fans run cpu and gpu fans as well, although not the 2 fans I had hooked up to mb fan headers. They work fine if I use the molex connector but not directly form the mb itself. The 2 fans with the mb 3 pin connector came preinstalled on my TT Armor case by the way. I get no video output from the video card at all as well as none of the normal beeps like a bad vid card or the normal ones I have heard over the years and yes the pc/case speaker is plugged in. I am kind of thinking it might be due to not enough power coming from my wall socket but I am not sure. I have taken it in to a local builder who I have known a while to see what he thinks since I unfortunatley have no other systems to switch components out with to test individual parts. Do any of you think it could be a lack of power from the wall causing my problem?

Add this to the million other i have problems list. LOL Ok I just bought my new rig from newegg got it in and put it together over the past 2 days. Now last night I go to power the system on for the first time and it powers up, fans run cpu and gpu fans as well, although not the 2 fans I had hooked up to mb fan headers. They work fine if I use the molex connector but not directly form the mb itself. The 2 fans with the mb 3 pin connector came preinstalled on my TT Armor case by the way. I get no video output from the video card at all as well as none of the normal beeps like a bad vid card or the normal ones I have heard over the years and yes the pc/case speaker is plugged in. I am kind of thinking it might be due to not enough power coming from my wall socket but I am not sure. I have taken it in to a local builder who I have known a while to see what he thinks since I unfortunatley have no other systems to switch components out with to test individual parts. Do any of you think it could be a lack of power from the wall causing my problem?

Do any of you think it could be a lack of power from the wall causing my problem?

Only if your power supply required a 220v instead of a standard 110v. Or if you notice the lights in the room dimming and power on full power once in a while. Sounds like you have your hands on a bad MB or you may have possibly not inserted the RAM in the DIMM correctly. Try reseating the video card and the RAM using one DIMM in slot 1 only. The CMOS jumper should be reset if the system still won't post. Be sure to remove the battery and unplug the power supply when you reset the jumper. Before you take on assembling a new system, having spare RAM, video card and psu as well as any other spare parts to help you troubleshoot would be a good idea.

biohazard420420

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Update and not a very good one still need help ASAP please.

Ok I got my pc back from the local builder he thought it was a bad mobo as someone here had already said was the likely problem. So I RMA'd the mb back to newegg and I get it back today. I go and install the mb per normal procedure I put the ram gpu hdd and cpu/retail heatsink back in and power up and what do you know its doing the EXACT SAME THING. First things first here is the parts list:

TT Tough Power 750W PSU
ASUS P5N-E sli mobo
E6600 cpu w/ retail heatsink
2gb gskill ddr2 800mhz ram (2x1gb) and 1gb of the same ram (2x512mb)
8800gts 640mb gpu
36gb raptor harddrive
and a dvd/cd burner

Now I rma'd the mb back to newegg and got it back today as i said above and it is doing the same thing as before which is this:

I get no video output at all, there are no error code beeps no post no hdd activity nothing I cant even open and close the cd tray. Any fans plugged into the onboard mb fan headers do not spin up at all (they work when connected to a molex cable) The cpu fan will spin as will the fan on my 8800. There is a light built into the mb that will tell you if it is getting power so I know it is getting power to it. I tried reseting the CMOS and removing all but one dimm (left one in slot 1 and tried all dimms one at a time one strange note on the ram layout though the slots are color coded alternating yellow and black you would figure that the 2 black slots are one channel and the 2 yellow are the second channel but NO surprise surprise each channel has a yellow and a black tell me that isnt retarded)

One thing I did notice is that the mb itself was getting VERY hot around the cpu area (I touched the edge of the mobo while is was on) not to the point where touching it instantly burns but you linger for a second or 2 and you will be burned. I have all 6 screws installed to hold the mb down one screw how ever will not tighten all the way (I had a problem unscrewing it before I rma'd the mb you could turn and turn and it wouldn't come out I removed the back of the case and it fell right out :? although that shouldn't be causing the problem.)

On the rma when I sent back the mb originally newegg stated the rma would be a repair on the "check rma status" area of their site (I was wanting a replacement but it is their choice) I think I just got a second bad mb in a row and I am so far beyond mad right now its not funny. If anyone has any ideas please let me know I can't think of anything else to try. Just for the record I have built a few pcs before so this is not my first and I know the normal rules when assembling a pc. If you can please respond asap it would be greatly appreciated as I need to set up a new rma very quickly if at all possible I just want to make sure that I am correct in sending this back AGAIN because I am starting to lose patience with this. THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL YOUR HELP that can never be said enough.

*edit: spelling*

No beeps, nothing on monitor, but fans spin and the actual PCB is getting very hot? Same thing two MOBOs in a row?

Maybe they sent back the same one? Maybe a second defective one?

Yes, possible, but not exactly likely.

It is a thorny problem. I have a few suggestions to throw out. I'm sure you have ruled out most of them but I want to be sure we have covered all the usual suspects;

1. Are you certain you plugged in the separate power line from the PSU to the power header near the CPU?

2. Can you get another PSU to try? It is quite possible to have a partially functioning PSU which will make some things come on but is insufficient to boot. This is my best shot! Seriously. Did the shop you went to use their own PSU or the same TT you got? Try another to be sure. Just buy one from a big box store and then return it.

3. Have you tried one stick of RAM only and then move it around to different slots? Yopu SHOULD get error beeps if RAM is bad but perhaps not always.

4. Have you tried building it outside of the case to insure nothing is shorting the MOBO?

5. Can you put an old PCI video card in there to test? Not PCI-E but ancient PCI card.

6. When testing have NOTHING else plugged in to PSU or MOBO. No drives, no add-in cards - just mobo, 1 stick ram, video, PSU and monitor.

That's all I got. If you can rule out PSU, RAM, video then that leaves MOBO, or CPU, but I don't know if there is much if any chance you get a bum CPU new from INTEL. Then again, it might be worth looking into if nothing else works.

If you lack the parts you need to switch things out then maybe another trip to a PC shop is worth it to get them to narrow down the culprit. This time maybe a different shop.

biohazard420420

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Thanks for the adive I will try out some of your sugestions, I have not tried switching the psu yet but I might try getting another one to test out, I already tried moving the ram around and trying each of the 4 sticks I have one at a time I also have the aux 4pin mobo power connected as well it has an 8 pin plug that you can split in 2 and I have tried each 4 pin plug as well. I will try again disconnecting all oter devices except ram cpu and monitor and see what happens. As far as running it outside of the case would it be ok ro lay the mobo on the anti static bag when powering up? I probally will trytaking it back to the same local guy only because I have known him for about 10 years and I know he does good work there are a few other places in town where I could also take it but I don't know anyone with any experience with them. One of them is actually the it dept for the company I work with and are HORRIBLE like a week to install a hdd kind of horrible and we are pretty much the only big account they have LOL. thanks for you advice I will report back soon. Again thanks for your help.

You can lay the MOBO on an anti-static bag but to be safe it is best to have a little air under the board so it can breathe, otherwise it might overheat if run for extended periods - just prop it up on some packing peanuts or somesuch once it's all hooked up.

lumper

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
i alwasy put it on the foam and then the box it came from for a benchtest, you only need to see it post to know yoru set so you dont have to run it more than 5 minutes like that.

I did a build yesterday and had to pull everything out of the case when I got no power either, found it to be my moistake a grmety plkaced in the wrong place onthe mobo tray, i pulled it benchtested and saw it post, put it back together and it has been great.

alwasy start with a benchtest, and a vid card, memory keyboard is about it.
then after you put in the case you can add the peripheals and fire it back up.

no power at all but the board gets hot sounds wierd, my first thought would be power supplygrba one from comp usa or target or another retialer that has them and make sure it is one you can return if you dont need it but have opened it.
In that case I would run out grab an antec 650 trio and try that, if it works you can either rma the one you bought and get a new one, return the one you got and keep the antec or whatever, but i would try to make certain it is not your psu before I sent it back.

Chip set in place right?
secondary 4 pin power plugged in?

triple check everything.

I had the problem I told you about, then after all that i got it together and was getting a wierd error, chassis intrusion, system halted, and this was in post never got past post, i thought about it for a while and remembered pulling off a jumper for the case security and hooking up a wire, i disconnected it and found the jumper and replaced it and tada no error, so I just left it off for now and went on with the build.

sometimes you need to just take a deep breathe and think.
Lump