Sign in with
Your question

GPU temp monitor for ATI cards?

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
June 1, 2008 1:27:14 AM

I got ksensors working with my CPU, but I can't find a way to monitor the GPU temp on my radeon x1800xt. I have the fglrx driver installed and working. I've seen plenty of guides for Nvidia cards, but none for ATI. Can anyone help?

I'm running kubuntu 8.04 hardy heron.
June 1, 2008 5:34:04 AM

Kwyx said:
I got ksensors working with my CPU, but I can't find a way to monitor the GPU temp on my radeon x1800xt. I have the fglrx driver installed and working. I've seen plenty of guides for Nvidia cards, but none for ATI. Can anyone help?

I'm running kubuntu 8.04 hardy heron.

There is currently no support for the temp sensor but it will apparently show up as an lm_sensors feature later this year.
June 1, 2008 5:44:21 AM

Damn. Well, thanks for the info, I was starting to get the impression that it wasn't available. It seems like my card is running very hot at all times in Kubuntu, especially if I crank up the desktop effects.

Any chance something like HWMonitor would work with wine? I'm a linux noob.
Related resources
June 1, 2008 3:49:53 PM

Kwyx said:
Damn. Well, thanks for the info, I was starting to get the impression that it wasn't available. It seems like my card is running very hot at all times in Kubuntu, especially if I crank up the desktop effects.

Any chance something like HWMonitor would work with wine? I'm a linux noob.

I doubt that would work as you would need a hardware driver to get the sensor to work. WINE only allows for API translation and not for kernel emulation or anything like that, so you cannot run anything that needs to install a driver.
June 1, 2008 5:34:07 PM

Ok, thanks again. I guess I'll just have to wait.
June 2, 2008 4:48:36 AM

Install a 120mm fan on top of your VGA that oughta help :) 

GL :) 
June 5, 2008 7:02:51 PM

I still maintain the best visual effect on a computer for impressing people was running norton disk doctor back in the day. I must have wasted hours watching it sort my little coloured blocks out over the years.
June 16, 2008 6:31:08 PM

I need therapy at the minute. I took a job in an MS shop and I'm going to have to sell my soul and run Vista for a while at home to get back up to speed.... My brother suggested a daily quota of 100 Hail Linus's, or a reduced 50 a day of Hail RMS ;) 
June 18, 2008 6:54:30 PM

I crank the effects on my laptop to show off, but my desktop runs flux (and subsequently really, really fast).

In my book, there's nothing wrong with showing others what FOSS can do.
!