FuhQuake and eQuake

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

Are they "all inclusive"?

I'm heading off for deployment with the only source of entertainment for me
being my laptop. I have (and love) the original Quake1. I remember
playing...frogbot? and having a blast with both frogbot and the single
player Quake1.

however, reading the little bit I've seen, eQuake includes bot support, as
well as the "newest most popular latest greatest" client, FuhQuake.

I assume this includes the nifty 32-bit textures and advanced graphics
options, such as higher resolutions and stuff?

Is it "fully compatible? Can I download a ton of old-school Quake1 demos
and run them with FuhQuake/eQuake?

thanks alot for any replies!

"SGT Robo" <robsonia6beare@SPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
> Are they "all inclusive"?
>
> I'm heading off for deployment with the only source of entertainment for
> me being my laptop. I have (and love) the original Quake1. I remember
> playing...frogbot? and having a blast with both frogbot and the single
> player Quake1.
>
> however, reading the little bit I've seen, eQuake includes bot support, as
> well as the "newest most popular latest greatest" client, FuhQuake.
>
> I assume this includes the nifty 32-bit textures and advanced graphics
> options, such as higher resolutions and stuff?

Yes.

> Is it "fully compatible? Can I download a ton of old-school Quake1 demos
> and run them with FuhQuake/eQuake?

QuakeWorld, yes. Normal Quake, no, though supposedly using Qizmo (the proxy
included with eQuake) they can be made to work. I never got it working
though. Unless you figure out how to play normal Quake demos via Qizmo, you
should bring a functioning copy of regular WinQuake/GLQuake or JoeQuake (or
various others that used the normal Quake networking/demo code, rather than
being QuakeWorld-based). I have had trouble running some of the Quake done
Quick movies under JoeQuake and others though.

One really neat feature of the newer QWD-based clients is ".mvd" demos,
which are multi-viewpoint demos (you can switch to the view of any player,
though occasionally they have been converted from regular demos and don't
have all points of view). These are very common on challenge-tv.com, which
keeps up with all the latest demos from Europe and elsewhere (mostly QW and
Q3).

BTW, a poll a while back on that site confirms what I've sensed elsewhere:
about 2/3 of all Quake activity (development, number of players, etc.) now
takes place in Europe, and only about 1/6th in North America. I think this
trend began about the time Sweden's 9 resoundingly defeated American
champions Death Row in 1999... :)

TRENDING THREADS