help with reinstalling programs on new SD card

August 6, 2005 3:21:59 PM

HI,
I have an ipaq 1910 with a 256mb SD card. I have several
programs installed that I installed to the card.
I have a new 1 gig card I want to replace the 256 card with.
Can I just copy the contents of the 256 card to my computer,
then copy it to the new card and have all the programs still
work that I installed to the 256 card? It takes so long to
copy all those folders that I thought I would check first
for feasibility.

Thanks,

Mike
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 6:27:04 PM

>> can i copy entire contents <<

short answer, yes...

you will only have to assure that the folder structure remains the same
after the process.

You may have to check your explorer settings to also assure that
hidden/readonly/etc files are copied as well.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 7:43:55 PM

Do consider investing in a USB card reader. You will likely be able to go to
the store and buy one, and do the copying, faster than just doing the
copying via AS ;)

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
> >> can i copy entire contents <<
>
> short answer, yes...
>
> you will only have to assure that the folder structure remains the same
> after the process.
>
> You may have to check your explorer settings to also assure that
> hidden/readonly/etc files are copied as well.

August 6, 2005 9:50:00 PM

Alan Smith wrote:
> "if6was9" <usenethotmail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > HI,
> > I have an ipaq 1910 with a 256mb SD card. I have several
> > programs installed that I installed to the card.
> > I have a new 1 gig card I want to replace the 256 card with.
> > Can I just copy the contents of the 256 card to my computer,
> > then copy it to the new card and have all the programs still
> > work that I installed to the 256 card? It takes so long to
> > copy all those folders that I thought I would check first
> > for feasibility.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike
> >

> What is 'so long'?

[...]

Well I've got a lot of directories and files plus the program
folders, and when I just tried to copy a whole directory,
it would copy for say, 20 min, and then crash. Then I would
have to look for which files it *didnt copy, and go from there
and sometimes start over. So I will have to do this piece by piece.
However, if this is feasible, then it is definitely better
than reinstalling all the programs, so thx for your clarification.
It would be nice if I could just start activesync, right click on
the 'storage card' and then just copy *that, then paste the whole
thing into the new card. I think that might create a staggered
directory though called 'storage card', and would likely crash
on me as well during the copy process.

Mike
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 12:22:38 AM

"if6was9" <usenethotmail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> HI,
> I have an ipaq 1910 with a 256mb SD card. I have several
> programs installed that I installed to the card.
> I have a new 1 gig card I want to replace the 256 card with.
> Can I just copy the contents of the 256 card to my computer,
> then copy it to the new card and have all the programs still
> work that I installed to the 256 card? It takes so long to
> copy all those folders that I thought I would check first
> for feasibility.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

What is 'so long'?

It should work for most programs. Remember to look for any hidden files so
they get copied too. Some programs can use protection techniques (like a
hidden file in a particular unmovable memory location) that will mean
reinstalling, just see what doesn't work and reinstall them.

I'm a little surprised at the time factor though, it doesn't take too long
to copy my 512 Mb card using a card reader- it's around 20 mins using USB1.1
and all in one go for 500 Mb of programs and data. And how many times do you
need to do the transfer? Does it *really* matter even if it takes an hour
for a one time transfer- I bet it will take you an awful lot longer to
reinstall all of your programs.
You don't have to sit over the computer while it copies, or you can do other
things with the computer.
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 6:11:42 AM

> Alan Smith wrote:
>> "if6was9" <usenethotmail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > HI,
>> > I have an ipaq 1910 with a 256mb SD card. I have several
>> > programs installed that I installed to the card.
>> > I have a new 1 gig card I want to replace the 256 card with.
>> > Can I just copy the contents of the 256 card to my computer,
>> > then copy it to the new card and have all the programs still
>> > work that I installed to the 256 card? It takes so long to
>> > copy all those folders that I thought I would check first
>> > for feasibility.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Mike
>> >

>> What is 'so long'?
>>

> [...]
>
> Well I've got a lot of directories and files plus the program
> folders, and when I just tried to copy a whole directory,
> it would copy for say, 20 min, and then crash. Then I would
> have to look for which files it *didnt copy, and go from there
> and sometimes start over. So I will have to do this piece by piece.
> However, if this is feasible, then it is definitely better
> than reinstalling all the programs, so thx for your clarification.
> It would be nice if I could just start activesync, right click on
> the 'storage card' and then just copy *that, then paste the whole
> thing into the new card. I think that might create a staggered
> directory though called 'storage card', and would likely crash
> on me as well during the copy process.
>
> Mike

Activesync struggles with large sized files. Use a card reader, borrow from
a friend, but they are inexpensive and a lot faster for file transfers.
Don't forget to copy any hidden files.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 2:42:47 AM

I got the files transferred, and the new card, when inserted,
was automatically named 'Storage Card 2'. This '2' caused
the path of the start.exe's of the programs to not work.

When I tried to rename the first Storage Card folder, which was still
present in File Explorer, even though the card was not inserted, to
something
else, I got an error message that said I couldn't rename it.
I was then going to rename Storage Card 2 to Storage Card,
and see if the paths to the programs would work.

How do I get the new card installed and have it called
Storage Card instead of Storage Card 2?

Thanks,

MIke
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 10:55:31 AM

We assume you transferred the SD card contents to another SD card correct?

>> 'Storage Card 2' <<

This is the behaviour experienced when the ppc shows that the original
card is still inserted.

Remove both cards and execute a "soft reset"

After the ppc reboots, insert the new card and run pocket file explorer
to confirm that the card is now recognized as "storage card"

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 12:40:13 PM

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] wrote:
> We assume you transferred the SD card contents to another SD card correct?
>
> >> 'Storage Card 2' <<
>
> This is the behaviour experienced when the ppc shows that the original
> card is still inserted.
>
> Remove both cards and execute a "soft reset"
>
> After the ppc reboots, insert the new card and run pocket file explorer
> to confirm that the card is now recognized as "storage card"
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Ok, this worked and about half of the programs now work. Thanks!
Will reinstall the others.

Mike
!