DVD Improvement

Last response: in Home Theatre
December 18, 2004 5:46:51 AM

I have been looking for an excuse to buy a HDTV CRT model with 1080i, 480p,
progressive scan line doubler with 3-2 pulldown processing such as the Samsung
TX-P2675WH. But in looking over the off air and dish TV programming in HDTV
there is very little available that I would want to watch.
I do like to watch DVDs. Is there an improvement in watching DVDs with these
HDTV sets?

Paul

More about : dvd improvement

Anonymous
December 18, 2004 5:46:52 AM

Pdelpriore wrote:

> I have been looking for an excuse to buy a HDTV CRT model with 1080i,
> 480p, progressive scan line doubler with 3-2 pulldown processing such
> as the Samsung TX-P2675WH. But in looking over the off air and dish
> TV programming in HDTV there is very little available that I would
> want to watch. I do like to watch DVDs. Is there an improvement in
> watching DVDs with these HDTV sets?

Yes, there is improvement. A good DVD will look not all that much
worse than a lot of true HD content does. (On a bad one, you'll see
the artifacts of insufficient bitrate more clearly.) For me, it was a
big step up from watching DVDs in NTSC -- the change of screen shape
alone helps a lot. Of course, a widescreen EDTV such as the cheapest
Philips model will do just as well for DVDs, but I think it's still
worth it to buy a true HDTV, just on the grounds that in a few years
there will be lots more HD content, including a hopefully fast-growing
selection of HD movie discs. Since I don't want to buy yet another TV
in less than five years, I went ahead and got HD now.
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 5:46:52 AM

I was in the same dilema as you. Eventually I convinced myself to buy the
50" Sony plasma.
1. The DVDs look very good on it. Although they are not hi-def, they are
really good to watch wide screen DVDs on wide screen big TV.
2. I have Dish Network using normal programming. It is just average look,
just bigger in size.
3. Off the air HD programs are good to watch.

-Gurminder

"Pdelpriore" <pdelpriore@aol.com> wrote in message
> I have been looking for an excuse to buy a HDTV CRT model with 1080i,
480p,
> progressive scan line doubler with 3-2 pulldown processing such as the
Samsung
> TX-P2675WH. But in looking over the off air and dish TV programming in
HDTV
> there is very little available that I would want to watch.
> I do like to watch DVDs. Is there an improvement in watching DVDs with
these
> HDTV sets?
>
> Paul
December 18, 2004 5:46:52 AM

Pdelpriore wrote:

> I do like to watch DVDs. Is there an improvement in watching DVDs with these
> HDTV sets?

Yes, but how much depends on what set you are currently using to watch
DVD with. I just replaced my 10 year 27" Sony CRT with a Panasonic
TH-42PHD7UY 42" HD plasma and am amazed by how much the picture quality
& viewing experience is improved for widescreen movies on DVD. If you
have an older model CRT, unless it was a very high end set for it's day,
you are not seeing the DVD at it's full 720x480 encoded resolution. If
you get a bigger widescreen HD TV, be it RP TV, ED or HD plasma, LCD
flat panel, DVDs will look darn good on them.

Alan Figgatt
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 6:02:20 AM

I wouldn't spend the money on a big HDTV just to watch DVD's in 480p. But
HD is so much better than DVD that you may de-value DVD after getting used
to HD. Tonight, HBOHD was running "Face Off" in HD, a movie I have on DVD.
The difference is just incredible. Best offerings in HD are (1) football --
1000% better in HD (2) movies and special features on HBOHD and other
HD-only channels such as INHD and Discovery HD -- if you like IMAX movies,
you'll love those channels and (3) the major network prime-time shows, to
whatever extent you watch them -- shows like "Without a Trace", "24", "Law &
Order", etc. -- are a treat to watch in 16X9 HDTV. If none of that appeals
to you, hard to justify spending all that money, seems to me.

mack
austin

"Pdelpriore" <pdelpriore@aol.com> wrote in message
>I have been looking for an excuse to buy a HDTV CRT model with 1080i, 480p,
> progressive scan line doubler with 3-2 pulldown processing such as the
> Samsung
> TX-P2675WH. But in looking over the off air and dish TV programming in
> HDTV
> there is very little available that I would want to watch.
> I do like to watch DVDs. Is there an improvement in watching DVDs with
> these
> HDTV sets?
>
> Paul
December 18, 2004 11:29:17 AM

Pdelpriore wrote:
> I have been looking for an excuse to buy a HDTV CRT model with 1080i,
480p,
> progressive scan line doubler with 3-2 pulldown processing such as
the Samsung
> TX-P2675WH. But in looking over the off air and dish TV programming
in HDTV
> there is very little available that I would want to watch.
> I do like to watch DVDs. Is there an improvement in watching DVDs
with these
> HDTV sets?
>
> Paul

Absolutely! DVD quality on most movie releases exceeds NTSC
capabilities. An NTSC Television can display a resolution around
525x480 interlaced, it's can't really be measured in pixels because
it's analog so the signal is converted (if it were it would have to be
640x480 to be true 4:3, but analog works a bit differently. Widescreen
DVD movies are typically encoded at 480i (704x480 interlaced). So with
an HDTV you can take advantage of progress scan DVD, when using
progressive scan the DVD playback becomes 480p (this smooths out the
motion quite a bit), also some HDTV models offer 1080i or 720p
upconversion. So each manufactuer has their own approach to
upconversion (or they just license Hitachi's technology), so the gist
of this is that the 704x480 video stream in processed in real-time and
converted to 1920x1080 and filtering is applied to smooth out the
pixelization giving you "virtual HD".

On my set I have 1080i upconversion applied and DVDs look fantastic.
Are they truely HD quality? No. But I have to look pretty close to see
the difference. Now if you buy a low-end model HDTV and you hook up
your DVD player using s-video or composite cables, you're going to get
an entirely different experience. You may even find DVDs look worse on
HDTV, but this is because you don't know what you're doing in terms of
hook up and perhaps you should have done more research before you
purchased.
-Jeremy
http://hdtv.0catch.com
http://thdblog.blogspot.com/
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 5:14:19 PM

It is true that the 16:9 screen shape provides a great place for your DVD
pictures. (Most widescreen movies will still be letter-boxed, since they
are not in the exact 16:9 format.) Also, if you are upgrading from a set
that does not accept progressive scan, then being able to watch in 480p will
be an improvement over 480i. But I don't find as some do that the quality
of a DVD picture on an HDTV set is so much improved that you should buy the
set even you didn't care to watch HD. HDTV is a stunning improvement, not
only over regular SD TV but over the current version of DVD.

mack
austin

"Paul Kienitz" <paul-NOZPAM@paulkienitz.net> wrote in message
> Pdelpriore wrote:
>
>> I have been looking for an excuse to buy a HDTV CRT model with 1080i,
>> 480p, progressive scan line doubler with 3-2 pulldown processing such
>> as the Samsung TX-P2675WH. But in looking over the off air and dish
>> TV programming in HDTV there is very little available that I would
>> want to watch. I do like to watch DVDs. Is there an improvement in
>> watching DVDs with these HDTV sets?
>
> Yes, there is improvement. A good DVD will look not all that much
> worse than a lot of true HD content does. (On a bad one, you'll see
> the artifacts of insufficient bitrate more clearly.) For me, it was a
> big step up from watching DVDs in NTSC -- the change of screen shape
> alone helps a lot. Of course, a widescreen EDTV such as the cheapest
> Philips model will do just as well for DVDs, but I think it's still
> worth it to buy a true HDTV, just on the grounds that in a few years
> there will be lots more HD content, including a hopefully fast-growing
> selection of HD movie discs. Since I don't want to buy yet another TV
> in less than five years, I went ahead and got HD now.

Anonymous
December 19, 2004 4:31:44 PM

"Pdelpriore" <pdelpriore@aol.com> wrote in message
>I have been looking for an excuse to buy a HDTV CRT model with 1080i, 480p,
> progressive scan line doubler with 3-2 pulldown processing such as the
> Samsung
> TX-P2675WH. But in looking over the off air and dish TV programming in
> HDTV
> there is very little available that I would want to watch.
> I do like to watch DVDs. Is there an improvement in watching DVDs with
> these
> HDTV sets?
>
> Paul

Yes, in general an HDTV will provide a superior viewing experience over an
older 4:3 NTSC SDTV when viewing DVDs.
Ed
!