Sign in with
Your question

Hot air coming out of pc what do i do

Last response: in Components
May 10, 2007 12:43:51 AM

well today it was about 90 degrees outside and very hot in my upstairs room. well anyway i was doing a little bit of gaming today and relized that my pc was very hot, then i took my temp gun and put it by the air coming out from the 120mm fan in the back and it said 98.9 degrees F! i then felt the air and boy o boy it was warm. i have a coolermaster centurion 5 with a 80mm in the front and a 120mm in the back. in the pc there is a biostar 945p motherboard a Pentium D 820 not overclocked and a 8800gts. so what sould i do to lower temps or should i just consider a new case.

More about : hot air coming

May 10, 2007 12:46:53 AM

What are the CPU/GPU temps?

Not much you can do in a really hot room. Maybe when gaming during hot days, pop the side off your case and put a house fan on low so it blows a little air in there.
May 10, 2007 1:05:07 AM

Quote:
What are the CPU/GPU temps?

Not much you can do in a really hot room. Maybe when gaming during hot days, pop the side off your case and put a house fan on low so it blows a little air in there.

Agreed. I'm not really familiar with that case, but it sounds like you could use more airflow. Also, you could always try watercooling. Air can't cool your system below ambient temps, but water can hold alot more heat. Obviously it won't be as effective as it would be in a cooler room, but it should show improved temps. I'd try improving the airflow in your case first though. Take the side off, put a housefan, or if you don't like that idea, try cutting some holes in your case with a dremel and sticking some 80 or 120 mm fans in strategic places.

My room gets pretty damn hot in the summer as well (well over 90 degrees F.. closer to 120+) so I'm probably going to either locate my soon to be built PC in the basement, or cut a hole in my wall and put a giant fan there (seriously) because the AC just cant keep up. Shame I can't just water cool my room :p 
Related resources
May 10, 2007 2:10:37 AM

well i just put a 80mm fan in a 5 3/4 drive bay and im going to go pick up a 120mm to put in there tomorrow and hopefully that will help a little bit. when i game my cpu is about 36 highest ive ever seen it is 39 and my gpu is about 67 c rite now. normally when i game it can reach about 80 cuz the 8800 series is hot
May 10, 2007 4:10:26 AM

I wouldnt worry too much then. That case actually does pretty well with temps considering the fan setup.

Your temps are just fine.
May 10, 2007 4:41:48 AM

Those temps don't sound bad to me at all. Unless you have a really well ventilated case, expect warm air to come out the back on hot days ... even on cool days, with your system. That said, improving air flow and lowering temps is always good. Before buying new fans, re-arrange your cables. Spend a bit of time and you may be well rewarded.
a b ) Power supply
May 10, 2007 7:23:40 AM

The best thing to do is to cool down your room. The higher the ambient temperature, the less effective your cooling solution will be.

If you don't have A/C then try taking the side panel off to let more air in and check the temperature. Note, in some instances removing the case's side panel may actually increase the temperature slightly because of the airflow disruption.

If you are currently overclocking the CPU or GPU, then I suggest dropping them back to stock speed.

Short of getting an A/C there's not much you can do. Unless you get water cooling, but an A/C would be better since that would cool you down as well.
May 10, 2007 7:47:00 AM

I would say that if it was very hot in your room, and the air coming out of the case was 98.9 F, that's not too bad.
Also, did you measure air coming from you PSU, or from the cases' rear fan? PSU's generate heat in the ac/dc conversion, and that heat should be blown out of the case and not affecting the internal temperature much.
a b ) Power supply
May 10, 2007 1:36:45 PM

Quote:
I would say that if it was very hot in your room, and the air coming out of the case was 98.9 F, that's not too bad.
Also, did you measure air coming from you PSU, or from the cases' rear fan? PSU's generate heat in the ac/dc conversion, and that heat should be blown out of the case and not affecting the internal temperature much.

I second this. If your ambient temp is 90F and your exhaust temp is 99F that is only 9F difference which is not much. I wouldn't worry about it. The only true way would be to get an Air conditioner or get a window fan or something. Bring down the ambient temps and you will bring down your system temps. Just check the CPU and Mobo temps and make sure they look good.

ever stick your hand behind an ATI x1900XTX with stock cooling during load? YEAHHHHHH!!!! it feels like a hair dryer. And that is completly acceptable for that card. Don't worry dude if your internal components are running at good temps your exhaust temp doesnt matter. Actually your exhaust temp should be higher since that is what you are trying to do... exhause hot air.

My thought... you worry to much.
May 10, 2007 6:41:04 PM

well i have central air but my parents are to cheap to turn it on and i was measuring the temp from the back. also i measured the chipset heatsink and it was like 130ish and like 140 i think was the max of the top of the heatsink while gaming.
May 10, 2007 7:20:07 PM

Quote:
well today it was about 90 degrees outside and very hot in my upstairs room. well anyway i was doing a little bit of gaming today and relized that my pc was very hot, then i took my temp gun and put it by the air coming out from the 120mm fan in the back and it said 98.9 degrees F! i then felt the air and boy o boy it was warm. i have a coolermaster centurion 5 with a 80mm in the front and a 120mm in the back. in the pc there is a biostar 945p motherboard a Pentium D 820 not overclocked and a 8800gts. so what sould i do to lower temps or should i just consider a new case.

hot air coming out means your heatsink and fans are working.

worry when it STOPS coming out...
May 10, 2007 7:42:31 PM

Get one of those "Icy Hot" heating bags and sit it on the thermostat every once in a while so it kicks on.

When in college we could not adjust the temps because the box was locked, but that did not stop us from putting Ice Cubes on the thermostat in winter for more heat or heating pags in the summer for more cooling.
May 10, 2007 8:27:24 PM

Get a roll of duct tape and tape over the fan intakes and exhausts on your PC chassis. This will ensure your PC does not overheat your room. Eventually the PC will fail and then you can take the duct tape off.
May 11, 2007 6:29:53 PM

Maybe take it a step further, and pipe it into the attic and put a fan on the end of it - would be a similar concept to "quiet cool" brand "whole house fans" where you are basically pushing all the hot air out of the house (or your room at least) and into the attic. Cool air is forced in from downstairs, since you are just helping convection that is normally restricted by the ceiling and attic insluation. Also your attic needs to be properly ventilated for this to work effectively - then the attic stays cooler as well.
!