HTPC Linux Compatibility

taesen00

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
Okay, as I mentioned in a previous post, I plan on building a home theater PC, with some Linux distro as my OS. I'm thinking the latest of Ubuntu, but I'm open to suggestions.

In the past, I've run into compatibility issues with Linux and various hardware devices. Below is a list of the components I plan to use on the HTPC.

Anybody care to take a look, and let me know of any possible conflicts, and how to fix them? Thanks.

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GV-RX385512H Radeon HD
Tuner: pcHDTV HD-5500
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R
Soundcard: On the Motherboard
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB
Blue-Ray Player: LG GGC-H20L
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66 GHz
Memory: 2 GB DDR2
Operating System: Ubuntu 8.0.4

Can anyone forsee any compatibility issues?

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I guess we did kinda end up hijacking your thread before, but it'd be better if you just continued that thread rather than start a new one. I believe Linux_0 posted a guide on getting Blu-ray working with Linux. I have never heard of your gfx card before (perhaps it is a newer one) and I also can't speak for your tuner card, but everything else seems to check out OK. I have a system that is similar to yours and it works fine w/ linux, but I think you will just want to check in on your tuner and your gfx card to see if there are problems. A google search on either of those are likely to get you quick answers.

Also, AMD's graphics support for linux is getting way better than it was before so you may be in luck there.

-Zorak