Sign in with
Your question

Cpu stuck on heatsink

Last response: in CPUs
May 10, 2007 12:49:16 AM

My CPU is stuck on my heatsink I am trying To get it off with some rubbing alcohol so far its not working. Any other suggestions? I used arctic silver 5.

More about : cpu stuck heatsink

May 10, 2007 1:01:42 AM

OK, you must not be using a skt775 cpu, since the load plate wouldnt alow you to remove the cpu along with the hsf...

Right, two ways of getting it off. 1) Just slowly slide the cpu off the hsf, like you would with a neodymium stuck to a flat surface. 2) Re-socket the thing, turn the pc on for a few minutes to get everything warm, turn the pc off, and gently twist the hsf, to break the AS5 seal.
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2007 1:03:34 AM

Quote:
My CPU is stuck on my heatsink I am trying To get it off with some rubbing alcohol so far its not working. Any other suggestions? I used arctic silver 5.

Very gently work the processor back and forth and slowly break it loose from the heatsink. You should have gently rocked the heatsink and broke it loose from the cpu before you yanked the cpu out with it. Apply a VERY thin layer of AS. It just takes a small dot of AS to achieve a VERY thin layer on the top of the cpu. Breaking the HS loose from the cpu should not require much presure if the AS is applied correctly.
Related resources
May 10, 2007 1:18:23 AM

Sweet Thanks Guys! I let it sit for an hour with some Rubbing Alcohol on it then I was able to wiggle it then it came off :)  ! I will be sure to use less as5 this time:) 
May 10, 2007 1:19:15 AM

Pics :D 
May 10, 2007 2:02:19 AM

Im wondering if someones ever used ceramic paste for the cpu.
May 10, 2007 2:08:19 AM

ugh Sorry if ya wanted pics of it I already put it in the other motherboard.
!