problems with file and printer sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyrider

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Well I am at my wits end and I am trying to set up my vista o/s to file share and printer share with a XP machine, I did have this working with my old machine which was a XP machine so I know that router should be ok, I made sure the work group is the same as the XP and all the security settings as far as I can tell are turned on to allow file and printer sharing. Any ideas.

I'll tell you to general setup to use to share on Vista.

Under Network and Sharing, you'll want Network discovery On, File sharing On, Printer Sharing (in this case) On, but Password protected sharing off. You then right-click the folder you want to share, Properties, click the Sharing tab, then click Share..., pick Guest in the drop-down list and Add, then Apply. The XP machine should be able to access the folder at this point as this is about as basic as sharing gets, then you can work from there.

crazyrider

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
I have my printer and a secound drive shared on the vista machine, and the same on the other (XP) machine, I can see the vista machine from the XP machine but not the other way around. I have heard other people are having problems also..

crazyrider

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
well the link was helpful, seems like the protocols in XP have to be installed, also the anti-virus firewall had to be turned off in vista. And make sure which I finaly did that in vista you have the permissions under the sharing tap set to the ones you want to share with or you can just put to every one. I know some of you know this put there may be some that do not know this. Right now I do have the XP running in wireless mode and see how file shareing and what kind of files can be shared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS