Sign in with
Your question

Project: Fedora 64 migration

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
June 22, 2008 2:24:21 AM

Yup, my XP installation got a virus, again. This time I'm not gonna do a complete reinstallation and wait 3-6 months for it to die! I'm gonna fully cross over to Linux, Fedora 9 to be precise. I've figured out how to boot and install it, so that's some work done. In this project I wanna be able to replace, fully my Windows XP installation and do with what I normally do in Windows. Now that's not just web surfing and printing documents, its tablet work and gaming and listening to itunes! Not to mention I need to 'fix' some linux annoyances such as non-grid icon placement.

issue 1: USB Keyboard doesn't work!
solution: Installed updates and set System>Adminitration>Bootloader>Set to 5 seconds

issue 2: Firefox font hard to read
solution: (In firefox) Edit>Preferences>Content>Fonts and Colours (Set mine to Lucida Typewriter size 20)

issue 3: Scrolling not smooth
solution:

issue 4: No flash support
solution:

issue 5: Rythmbox skips!
solution:

Applications Required (Something easy to install via Add/Remove Programs...)

1. Something to replace Itunes
Solution: Burnt everything onto discs and re-extracted onto Rythmbox... Can't update ipod tho...

2. Something to replace Painter X

3. A Wacom tablet driver

4. A video editing application

June 22, 2008 8:51:18 AM

We should be able to fix most of that :) 

1. su -
  3. yum install yum-fastestmirror.noarch # install fastest mirror plugin
  5. wget http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-9.rpm # download the RPM
  7. rpm --checksig livna-release-9.rpm # check the signature
  9. rpm -iv livna-release-9.rpm # install the RPM
  11. yum install "mplayer*" "vlc*" "gnome-mplayer*" # install mplayer, vlc, gnome-mplayer
  13. yum list "*lvn*" # list other lvn packages

Review the lvn package list and select other packages you want to install :) 

mplayer and vlc should automatically trigger downloading of most of the libraries you need for audio and video.

http://livna-dl.reloumirrors.net/fedora/9/x86_64/

issue 1: enable legacy USB support in the BIOS, that should help.

issue 2: install wine with the extra fonts "yum install wine" etc

issue 3: may have to install the AMD/ATI graphics drivers, not sure if there is a new driver out for fedora 9 yet.

issue 4:

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1...

download install_flash_player_9_linu
x.tar.gz

Download Firefox from http://www.mozilla.com/

1. su -
  3. cd /home/username/Downloads # cd to the directory where the tar.gz is stored
  5. md5sum firefox-3.0.tar.bz2
  7. # output should be
  8. # fb66b2c2639dc3216abb0c6e1b3dc668 firefox-3.0.tar.bz2
  9. # if you download the US version otherwise make sure the md5 matches the one at
  10. # http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla.org/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.0/MD5SUMS
  11. # for the version you downloaded
  13. # if the md5 does not match do not install firefox
  16. tar xzvf firefox-3.0.tar.bz2 # extract firefox
  18. mv -i firefox /usr/local/ # move the extracted firefox directory to /usr/local/
  21. # now flash
  23. md5sum install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
  25. # output should be
  26. # a311fd97aa6c214f63dc089a20cf7a39 install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
  28. tar xzvf install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz # extract flash player
  30. cd install_flash_player_9_linux/ # change directory
  32. cp -i libflashplayer.so /usr/local/firefox/plugins/ # copy the flash player plugin to /usr/local/firefox/plugins/
  35. su - your_username # su to a normal user, you shouldn't run firefox as root
  37. /usr/local/firefox/firefox # launch firefox

issue 5: try other audio players, if they skip also then it is likely a driver or compatibility problem.

Applications:

1. gtkpod "yum install gtkpod"

2. GIMP, inkscape, blender, etc

3. I thought there was a driver...

4. Kino? "yum install kino"

GL :) 
June 22, 2008 8:57:27 AM

issue 3: Scrolling not smooth

Check your video drivers, if it's running just generic linux drivers for your ati/nvidia cards, it will be choppy when scrolling. Install the required drivers :-)

issue 4: No flash support

Install 32bit flash support, there are a few tutorials out there for Ubuntu, it could possibly work for Fudora

issue 5: Rythmbox skips!

Check your sound drivers, I had this issue once, realised I had the wrong drivers for my onboard sound, fixed pretty quick ;-)

2. Something to replace Painter X

Gimp might be a good place to start, I'm going to be testing PAINT.NET in WINE as I found it a good program for working with .DDS files

EDIT: Linux_0 beat me to the punch ;) 
Related resources
June 22, 2008 9:20:02 AM

Thanks knightrous great advice by the way :) 

@amdfangirl

As I mentioned in the other thread an inexpensive solution would be a $15-$30 SB Live or Audigy.

I have seen the value Audigy selling for around $30 new on newegg.

Unfortunately newegg does not ship to Australia :(  besides the shipping would be very high.

You should be able to find one locally especially if you have any friends that upgraded and no longer need their old card.

Since your bandwidth is limited you could download some of the software you need at the library and run "yum localinstall ........." or "rpm -iv ..................".

June 23, 2008 12:15:57 PM

linux_0 said:
Thanks knightrous great advice by the way :) 

@amdfangirl

As I mentioned in the other thread an inexpensive solution would be a $15-$30 SB Live or Audigy.

I have seen the value Audigy selling for around $30 new on newegg.

Unfortunately newegg does not ship to Australia :(  besides the shipping would be very high.

You should be able to find one locally especially if you have any friends that upgraded and no longer need their old card.

Since your bandwidth is limited you could download some of the software you need at the library and run "yum localinstall ........." or "rpm -iv ..................".

Newegg doesn't, but MSY Technologies does ;) 

http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

Creative SB 5.1 =$23
Creative Audigy Value =$49

MSY is great, I pickup parts from in Brisbane all the time from them! They have stores all around Australia and the prices are pretty damn nice.
June 23, 2008 12:21:30 PM

...wait when did I mention the sound card was at fault...? It works... updated that Alsa thing...
June 23, 2008 12:24:19 PM

Any excuse to buy new hardware ;-)
June 23, 2008 12:27:21 PM

knightrous and I are hardware heads :) 

Most nicer PCI sound cards also sound and work better than most onboard sound chipsets.

:) 
June 23, 2008 1:01:12 PM

touche! Nah, I think my onboard sounds well enough! Besides my bank balance is somewhere in the -$300 mark...
June 23, 2008 2:09:23 PM

So what, if anything, still isn't working the way you want it to?
June 23, 2008 6:54:41 PM

Are ATi's drivers any better? As you can see, I went nVidia with my new build... but still curious as my old computer is still around and I might decide to finally get a Linux-only box up and running.
June 24, 2008 5:53:15 AM

I've heard they are improving, but I have yet to check them out myself; my old lappy with the 9700 mobility is pushing up daisies.

PSA: if you can, take broken or unused electronics, especially something as complex and hazardous as a laptop or desktop, to a proper recycling center!
June 24, 2008 7:03:27 AM

I haven't decided what I'm doing with them yet... I have 2 fully functional computers... one had Windows and the other is running some version of Unix. (I inherited it when they received a new compy with Redhat installed). I don't know if I'll sell them, give them away, or hang on to them for when my daughter gets older. It would be nice to save one so that she has her own compy to mess up and doesn't break mine, I suppose. ;) 
June 24, 2008 7:06:27 AM

^ how old is your daughter?

if she's like 2 or something chuck em away but if she's 12 keep em...

... still can figure how to install Ati drivers...

BTW: USB died again with a 110 error...
June 25, 2008 3:07:37 PM

Do you have another machine (any OS)? I'd like to see if there's some interesting info in the kernel messages and the xorg logs when this happens, meaning you'd need to setup sshd and remote onto your main machine in order to check various logs.
June 30, 2008 1:32:04 AM

@ bmouring indeed ssh is a great tool for that kind of debugging.

@ amdfangirl

Maybe you can use an old PS/2 keyboard until your USB is fixed.

On another note avidemux is also good for video editing :) 

yum install avidemux.x86_64 avidemux-gtk.x86_64 avidemux-qt.x86_64

Also a yum update may fix your USB problems but it could be a huge download :) 

June 30, 2008 1:45:48 AM

Or a USB to PS/2 adapter ; most keyboards come with one.

I have seen keyboards with damaged cables behave strangely and some BIOSen have bad USB support during and after bootup.

June 30, 2008 4:29:48 AM

I had a weird issue with Vista 64 and my Logitech wireless keyboard... all the normal keys worked as they should, but my extra buttons (volume wheel, mute button, etc) didn't. Now, for some reason, it works perfectly. The only thing I can think of is perhaps a BIOS update for my board fixed it. The issue was present when connected to either the PS/2 or the USB port.
June 30, 2008 9:39:30 AM

It might have been a driver update big mother / brother snuck onto your PC.

They do that a lot.

Also most wireless keyboards and mice get all wacky when the batteries are running low.

:) 
June 30, 2008 9:53:46 AM

^ Linux_0 you gave me a really good working idea! Aparrently Fedora doesn't really support the Apple Keyboard's extra power draw and since I had a mouse and an external HD... will try later, for now I need to write something for English...
June 30, 2008 2:32:08 PM

bmouring said:
I've heard they are improving, but I have yet to check them out myself; my old lappy with the 9700 mobility is pushing up daisies.

Drivers for ATi cards have been improving greatly in the last ~half-year since AMD released or re-released hardware specs for all R200-RV770 Radeons. The Xorg "ati" driver has made a huge leap forward in the fact that it now supports TV-out properly and supports R500 and later cards for 2D. The binary blob fglrx driver has improved greatly as well since AMD bought ATi. The performance no longer sucks compared to NVIDIA's cards, driver support is available at card launch, and stability of the drivers has improved a bunch as well. I have two ATi cards, an R580 (Radeon x1900GT) in my desktop and an RV250 (Radeon Mobility 9000) in my very old laptop-cum-HTPC. Both work reasonably decently and much better now than in the past. As far as the M9000 goes, it is in a 6-year-old laptop and just got the ability to do TV-out a few months ago, allowing for me to use it as a MythTV frontend. Previously it has been sitting in my closet for a year since it has multiple hardware problems that made it non-portable (burned-out PSU, loose power connector that is VERY touchy but duct taping the adapter to the computer makes it hold well enough when it's sitting still) and unusable as a laptop (dead $150 battery, internal LCD panel controller is about dead). So I'd say that the ATi guys are certainly busting their tails and it is showing.
June 30, 2008 9:31:58 PM

Batteries was the first thing I tried... it was weird, I had never seen it before. Worked fine under XP. The reason I'm leaning towards a BIOS update fixing it, though, is because the keyboard also didn't work properly when installing Windows when it was connected USB. Now, it seems to also work fine in "DOS" mode.
July 22, 2008 8:30:32 PM

I'd recommend cinelerra for video editing. (yum install cinelerra) It takes a little getting used to, but it works great once you've got it figured out.
July 27, 2008 1:27:10 PM

Looks good. I'll put it through with the next production. I'm currently using my old Apple keyboard which (somehow) works...

Kinda illogical but...

Lolz guys, I'm trying to install the Ati driver while feeding the bird =P
July 27, 2008 3:35:01 PM

I tried Cinerella once, but it just proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that I have no artistic sense and should never touch film.

Be sure to let us know how the ATi drivers work; I'm interested in as much and as varied feedback as possible (since it will influence my future purchasing decisions).
July 27, 2008 8:25:02 PM

Are you yuming the lvn repo?

July 28, 2008 6:36:16 AM

bmouring said:
I tried Cinerella once, but it just proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that I have no artistic sense and should never touch film.

Be sure to let us know how the ATi drivers work; I'm interested in as much and as varied feedback as possible (since it will influence my future purchasing decisions).

I am so stupid... I followed a guide to installing the Ati driver... though everything was copy and paste into terminal. Rebooted into Fedora... without GUI! Just command line =(...

I'll stick with my Mac for now, I really need some reliable for school work. I'll try and fix fedora when I've finished the assignments (one or two per subject).

I think I'll skip Fedora for a complete takeover... for now...

BTW: I have no idea how to install drivers... the Xorg ones seem to work ok if you turn off visual effects.
July 28, 2008 7:09:46 AM

hmm... sounds to me like perhaps your xorg.conf file is now improperly configured? I remember back in the day when I used fedora (about 2 years ago or so) I had trouble getting my ATI drivers installed properly and one issue that I ran up against was that X wouldn't work because I had not properly configured my xorg.conf file, leaving me with nothing but a command line. Thankfully I had a lot of help from Linux_0 back then :) . Anyways, keep at it and I am sure you will learn something useful and have a nice Fedora system at your disposal.

-Zorak
July 28, 2008 5:09:28 PM

I must get round to having a hack with my broken Ubuntu installation. It sounds very much like the same issue... :( 
July 30, 2008 7:46:18 PM

@amdfangirl hang in there Fedora has it's quirks like everything else :) 

Give this a try ==================>

1. su -
  3. yum install yum-fastestmirror.noarch # install fastest mirror plugin
  5. wget http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-9.rpm # download the RPM
  7. rpm --checksig livna-release-9.rpm # check the signature
  9. rpm -iv livna-release-9.rpm # install the RPM
  11. yum install kmod-fglrx # install the ATI driver

http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/LivnaSwitcher

July 30, 2008 8:05:58 PM

I don't mean to threadjack here but I was wondering if perhaps someone could take this opportunity to explain a bit about ATIs drivers? I know before there was the open source radeon driver and the proprietary fglrx driver, both of which weren't very good. Now I understand AMD has an open driver of their own? This is in addition to fglrx, or did they open the fglrx driver? Does anyone know how their drivers compare to their windows drivers?

Thanks

-Zorak
!