Sony vs Pioneer plasma HDTV?

Last response: in Home Theatre
December 18, 2004 1:17:38 AM

I am looking to buy a new plasma HDTV. The store I'm currently looking
at has a variety of Sony, Pioneer, LG, … TVs. My wife and I were
looking at two specific 50" models: a Sony KDE-50XS955 and Pioneer
Elite. The salesperson told me a few things which I want to check with
the group:

" She said that all plasma panels are made by Fujitsu, Pioneer,
or LG. She said that the Pioneer panel is rated for a life of 80,000
to 120,000 hours vs the Sony's 30,000 to 60,000 hours. She said that
the Pioneer warranty is 2 years whereas the sony's warranty is 1 year.
Those stated facts would seem to indicate that the Pioneer will be
longer-lived than the Sony. Is that true?

" She said that the separate "media box" (tuner, …) on the
Pioneer makes it more flexible and easier to mount on a wall (even
though we intend to put the TB on a table). Is that a big deal?

" My wife and I could discern no obvious difference in picture
quality between the Sony and the Pioneer (or for that matter between
the Pioneer Elite and Pro models). Is there a significant picture
quality difference we just didn't see due to the environment of the
showroom?

" Are there other factors which discriminate between the two
models? What else should we consider?
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 3:43:15 AM

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:17:38 -0800, Don Brabston
<brabston@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>I am looking to buy a new plasma HDTV. The store I'm currently looking
>at has a variety of Sony, Pioneer, LG, … TVs. My wife and I were
>looking at two specific 50" models: a Sony KDE-50XS955 and Pioneer
>Elite. The salesperson told me a few things which I want to check with
>the group:
>
>" She said that all plasma panels are made by Fujitsu, Pioneer,
>or LG. She said that the Pioneer panel is rated for a life of 80,000
>to 120,000 hours vs the Sony's 30,000 to 60,000 hours. She said that
>the Pioneer warranty is 2 years whereas the sony's warranty is 1 year.
>Those stated facts would seem to indicate that the Pioneer will be
>longer-lived than the Sony. Is that true?
>
>" She said that the separate "media box" (tuner, …) on the
>Pioneer makes it more flexible and easier to mount on a wall (even
>though we intend to put the TB on a table). Is that a big deal?
>
>" My wife and I could discern no obvious difference in picture
>quality between the Sony and the Pioneer (or for that matter between
>the Pioneer Elite and Pro models). Is there a significant picture
>quality difference we just didn't see due to the environment of the
>showroom?
>
>" Are there other factors which discriminate between the two
>models? What else should we consider?

You should check out the Panasonics before deciding. The Panasonics
are rated very highly and are our best selling plasmas at the store I
work at. IMHO, the picture quality is far better than that of the
Sony's but we don't carry the Pioneers this year so I cannot comment
on that except to say we carried the Pioneers last year and last
year's Panny had a better picture than last year's Pioneers did.

As far as the "media box" comment the salesman made, I see no logical
reason as to why that would make it easier to mount on a wall. The
Panasonics, unlike the Sony's and that particular Pioneer, have a
built in tuner with a cable card slot, which IMHO, would make the
Panny the easier model to hang on your wall.

Just my 2 cents. HTH. BTW - you can find the Panny's at Sears, BB,
and CC and all will price match.
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 5:12:21 AM

Don Brabston wrote:
> I am looking to buy a new plasma HDTV. The store I'm currently looking
> at has a variety of Sony, Pioneer, LG, … TVs. My wife and I were
> looking at two specific 50" models: a Sony KDE-50XS955 and Pioneer
> Elite. The salesperson told me a few things which I want to check with
> the group:
>
> " She said that all plasma panels are made by Fujitsu, Pioneer,
> or LG. She said that the Pioneer panel is rated for a life of 80,000
> to 120,000 hours vs the Sony's 30,000 to 60,000 hours. She said that
> the Pioneer warranty is 2 years whereas the sony's warranty is 1 year.
> Those stated facts would seem to indicate that the Pioneer will be
> longer-lived than the Sony. Is that true?

No. Matsushita (parent company of Panasonic & JVC), Samsung, and
several other Chinese/Taiwan companies make plasmas. Sony gets their
plasma glass from several sources, Samsung mainly IIRC, but Sony doesn't
appear to provide lifespan ratings. But once you get to lifespan ratings
of 50,000 hours or more, which is 17 years at 8 hours/day, don't worry
about lifespan of the panel display by itself when making your decision.

If you are looking at the pricey Pioneer Elite, you should consider
Fujitsu and Panasonic. Panasonic/Matsushita plasmas have the best black
levels of all the makes at the moment (although LG appears to be
catching up) and are rated at 60,000 hours. The 50" Fujitsu, which can
be hard to find, is generally regarded as the best of the 50" plasmas as
it combines Panasonic glass with Fujitsu AVM scalar electronics. Other
highly regarded possibilities are the new Panasonic TH-50XVS30 50" Onyx
which is a direct competitor to the Pioneer Elites.

I just installed my new Panasonic TH-42PHD7UY 42" HD commercial
version and the picture quality for DVD and HD is impressive.

> " She said that the separate "media box" (tuner, …) on the
> Pioneer makes it more flexible and easier to mount on a wall (even
> though we intend to put the TB on a table). Is that a big deal?

A separate media box can be very convenient, even for table mount. Can
make it easier to hook up all the cables.

> " My wife and I could discern no obvious difference in picture
> quality between the Sony and the Pioneer (or for that matter between
> the Pioneer Elite and Pro models). Is there a significant picture
> quality difference we just didn't see due to the environment of the
> showroom?

Ask or look for dark scene source material when comparing plasmas. Can
you see detail in the darker areas? The setup in showrooms can vary
widely between stores. However, I do consider the new Sony 50XS955 and
the Pioneer Elites to be in the top line of plasmas along with the
Panasonic & Fujitsu models.

> " Are there other factors which discriminate between the two
> models? What else should we consider?

You may want to peruse the plasma & LCD flat screen display forum on
www.avsforum.com to gleam more info. Hope this all helps.

Alan Figgatt
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 6:07:13 PM

In alt.tv.tech.hdtv, Don Brabston <brabston@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> " Are there other factors which discriminate between the two
> models? What else should we consider?

Sony has horrible customer support. The worst I have ever encountered.
And the further up the chain of command that you go, the worse the
attitude of the service reps.

I will never buy another Sony product.

--
In the councils of government, we must guard against the
acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought,

<EskWIRED@spamblock.panix.com> wrote in message
> In alt.tv.tech.hdtv, Don Brabston <brabston@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>> " Are there other factors which discriminate between the two
>> models? What else should we consider?
>
> Sony has horrible customer support. The worst I have ever encountered.
> And the further up the chain of command that you go, the worse the
> attitude of the service reps.
>
> I will never buy another Sony product.

If you buy an expensive HDTV, you have the option of buying a service
contract along with it, so that you are not dependent on Sony -- or any
other manufacturer -- to take good care of you from their Customer Service
Department in Bombay. With my Sony HDTV, I bought a contract from Sears,
which has an excellent reputation in this area. If anything goes wrong, I
don't ever call Sony, I call Sears. Will that work out? Don't know. Hope
I never find out. I rarely ever buy a service contract on anything, but I
did for this TV and that is something you might consider given the newness
of this technology.

mack
austin
!