Having a lot of trouble installing Ethernet router modems

labortius

Distinguished
May 17, 2004
First I'm sent an AOL Netgear DG834. I'm just trying to use it as a regular wired modem.

I trun it on, connect it up, everything comes on fine. The AOL installer programs says it can't find the modem router, and the ethernet is constantly trying to get a network address.

End of that.

Next I try a 2wire 2700, same thing, plug it in, all looks good, but I have no installation CD, apparently I don't need one.

I know nothing about ethernet, always used a USB Sppedtouch 330.

My questions are, will my USB ISP still work with this new setup? It uses dial up, with a code 0,58 and a username and password, although it's still broadband.

Also, ethernet modems don't need drivers installed like USB stuff?

How do I go about using the ethernet modems like the Speedtouch? I can't seem to find the right wizards to help me do that.

I'm not a rank amateur, but I am when it comes to this. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

riser

Illustrious
I'm guessing you're using DSL since you mentioned it being over your phone line.

Put the router in place.

Phone Line --> Modem --> Router

If your Modem/Router is an all-in-one, make sure you plug it in correctly.

You'll need to configure your Router to use PPTP and put in your username/password.

Router will probably be 192.168.1.1 for the IP address of it.

labortius

Distinguished
May 17, 2004
Thanks riser, but where do I go to put in my username and password?

The AOL software can't find it, I plug in the 2wire, all the lights are right, it gets the broadband, but the internet light is always red.

Do I have to register it with someone?