summer_of_alvin

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
Athlon 64 3000+
1.5 GB RAM
GeForce 4200Ti

It's an old system, I know. But how would it run Windows Vista Home Edition? Anybody have experience running Windows Vista using a similar configuration?

I don't really play computer games. I use the computer mostly for web surfing, and for media (video, audio, etc).

The processor and RAM should not be a problem, a better video card would be advised. The MB is of the most concern. You may have to find some drivers that work with Vista for the MB. I was running Vista with an Athlon socket A 3200, 1 GB RAM and an ATI 9200 on an ASUS MB.

Quite frankly, Vista doesn't give you much of anything that you can't have in XP with a couple free downloads from cNet or PC World or whatever. IMHO there isn't any driving reason to upgrade, aside from curiosity/hype. (Which I dutifully fell for :pt1cable: ) Especially since you don't use your computer for anything you'd be even vaguely limited on in XP. Now, Vista isn't quite the massive drain on hardware which some would have everyone believe, but it *is* more for your comp to much on. Not to mention the potential maze of driver headaches caused by vendors not updating their software.

I know this may potentially come across as a dig against the OS (it isn't), or some juvenile backhanded way to put down a "lesser" system - PLEASE do not take it as that. I have Vista, have only had to deal with minor hiccups, and generally like it. But the simple truth of the matter is that your older system will be happier and will run better with XP.

If you're like me and will *have* to play with it anyhow because that's the only way to get the bug out of your ear, I'd recommend a dual boot - Buy yourself a second HDD, set it up for Vista, and leave your current OS and information intact and, well... unmolested. :eek: At less than $100 for a decent HDD, a few minutes to add it to your comp, and the install process you would have gone through anyhow, call it cheap insurance.

MSFT do have an Upgrade Advisor application you can download from the Vista home page. Definitely do that and run it. It'll read your system's hardware *and* software, then return a list of issues which you'll be able to go through and judge for yourself whether or not the side~grade is worth it.

Scott

summer_of_alvin

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007

You're right, of course. Curiosity and hype are probably the biggest reasons why I'm even considering it. After doing some research, I found out that the OEM version of Vista isn't transferable to other computers. Since my aging PC is at the end of its rope anyway, it's probably better to just wait for my next PC before upgrading the OS.

dsharp9000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
The home version of vista is absolutely worthless. Even home premium doesnt come with basic fax capabilities which is stupid. Dont even bother with home version as i dont even know why this version exists other than to downgrade you with less functions than you currently get with xp.

Most home users don't require fax capabilities which is why MS removed it in Vista. You can still get fax in Business or Ultimate... but you have to decide if it's worth spending that much more money just to have fax capabilities built into your OS. You're probably much better off purchasing separate faxing software anyway.