Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 98se drivers for hp6700t

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 30, 2011 7:54:22 AM

Hi, I am fixing a hp 6700t laptop for a friend. The hard drive had failed and it was given to her without any software. After installing a new hard drive and lowering the ram to 512k, I am attempting to install Windows 98se on it. My question is: Can it be done??
It did have Windows Vista on it. The stickers on the top indicate the system board has an AMD cpu and a Nvidia chip. Its going to only be used for simple games, no internet or sound needed. Windows 98se does run on it (as VGA) after a very long loading time. (15-20 min), which I believe is due to it searching for PCI software. I am currently trying to install a graphics driver on it, But the Nvidia software says no Nvida chip here. If I can get a SVGA driver on it, I assume some of the PCI problems could also be found by the OS. Hp has no help and other sites I looked at have nothing. Any comments will be appreciated. Thank You :)  ----- Eagle2
August 30, 2011 7:32:20 PM

You really should not install anything older than XP on that machine. Windows 98se is just too old and lacks support for modern hardware.
m
l

Best solution

August 31, 2011 5:07:07 PM

I'd also recommend XP. If you need dos compatibility for old games, try dosbox. its a good emulator.

If you need just an oS (free) try unbunto. Linux is not quite the headache it used to be.

If you need Windows 98se, then try this site for compatibility:
I'd also recommend XP. If you need dos compatibility for old games, try dosbox. its a good emulator.

If you need just an oS (free) try unbunto. Linux is not quite the headache it used to be.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/107001-compatible-hardw...
September 7, 2011 3:06:56 PM

Best answer selected by Eagle2.
m
l
!