MSI K9 good ?

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
PCChips is no good in general? That was the brand that I bought to replace my old ASUS A7n8x deluxe when it broke. So far it seems to work ok, but then again I gave that computer to my sister and I have no idea what her experience is with it these days.

If it is just no good w/ respect to Linux (even though I may dislike that) I guess that would be acceptable so long as the board itself isn't crappy quality. My sister is a windows user anyways so she'd not be missing out.

-Zorak

PCChips was the lowest of the low... they were relatively reliable, but they weren't the fastest boards out there (probably among the slowest) and overclocking would be limited to non-existent. (Not that the OP is looking to OC, but still)

ECS was bad for cheap capacitors... at least back in the P4 days and before... I'm not sure how they are now. I haven't had any experience with Foxconn boards, so I can't speak about any issues they may have.

linux_0

Splendid
I agree with Zoron

PCChips and ECS merged in 2005.

ECS has had a long and mixed history some of their boards were good, some ok and others were really bad.

I've seen some ECS boards catch fire, so watch out.

PCChips was known for being the cheapest of the cheap.

Foxconn recently had issues with Linux compatibility, which have supposedly been corrected with BIOS upgrades but I wouldn't recommend them until they clean up their act. I also had stability and BIOS issues with Foxconn on various operating systems.

GL :)

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Haha, ok then I guess I will add those guys to my blacklist along with ASUS :p
That board left me with a really bad taste in my mouth because of their sh*tty ACPI implementation that kept me from installing winXP for a really long time. Maybe holding grudges is irrational, but I am fairly bitter that I had to use win98 for almost a year while I tried to figure out why XP wouldn't install (I didn't know about Linux back then).

-Zorak

linux_0

Splendid
ASUS is still pretty good, although they had issues when they moved their PCB manufacturing to China and still do.

They are more expensive but the old saying, you get what you pay for is usually true.

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I don't know, maybe I just had bad luck, but my buddy and my cousin both had the same ASUS board as me and they all crapped out. My cousin's first and then mine and my buddy's at about the same time (my cousin's died after only 2 years and mine died at about the 4.5 year mark). Also I realize almost 5 years is a long time, but seeing as how it gave me grief along the way I am inclined to damn the board rather than bless it.

-Zorak

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
I had an old DFI board (before they were all about lan parties and such, in the good ol' Thunderbird days) and while that thing wasn't pretty, it's still tickin'. I donated that machine to my student group on campus before I left (*tear)

Ihelped a friend build a machine using a foxconn board (he was really cheap) and I echo the sentiment so far: it died in just over a year (caps popped plus it was having stability issues before then anyway)

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
I personally love Gigabyte and MSI...

I really hate those really cheap mobos that just suicide...

Anyone ever heard of "Magic Pro" ?

http://www.magic-pro.com/en/

The product manuals are hilariously cheap... One of their explanations for the LED debug port on (something similar to my Sapphire) was: Sleep no more nights. The problems are clear in mind with the mainboard.

Sister's: http://www.magic-pro.com/en/product/socketAM2/A2AMHD.htm

Mine: http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/products/products_overview.php?gpid=188&grp=6

I never told her to spend more money on the processor... its been 6 months and it just blew up... hehe told ya so...

Pretty much any major 3 branded motherboard (MSI, Gigabyte and ASUS) coupled with an AMD or Intel chipset should work quite well...

Its dead now... tee hee hee hee...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813154016

Try that one... its Sapphire so its passible... (better than... that)