Connecting two machines using Firewire...

turtle1

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I have two machines located next to each other in my home office that I want to connect using Firewire. I have been told this is a simple way to share files and drive space between the two machines.

One machine is a Windows Vista Ultimate machine with Norton Internet Security 2007 loaded. The other machine is a Windows XP Professional machine, also with Norton Internet Security 2007 loaded. Both machines access the net via RJ-45/Cat 5e cable to a router and then my ISP (Verizon FIOS).

I have tried a few combinations the past few nights and can not get the two machines to share (or recognize) anything.

Is there a simple, step by step guide for setting up this "simple" Firewire connection? I am good at building hardware, but not very experienced at setting up networks.

Any help would be appreciated.

turtle1

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
OK, let me make the question easier since I have no responses to the original.

If I was to direct wire two computers together without using a router or hub or switch, what would I need to do in Windows to set this up? I have never set up a network before.

Is there an easy on line guide somewhere I can reference? Should I call Microsoft Support and have them (try to) talk me through it?

turtle1

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
When I set this Firewire network up, will my system be more open to attacks from the 'Net when I set my drives to "Share"?