noquarter

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2005
Quick question, hope someone will answer...My old mobo gave up the ghost and instead of replacing it, I just bought a new rig (P5N32-E SLI, QX6700, 2GB PC2-8500, WD1500ADFD). the problem is that I didn't back up my work on the old computers HDD (Seagate Barracuda 7200.7) Since I can't use the File Transfer utility to import my files to the new HHD I'd like to find out how to add the Seagate (OS-XPHome) to the new computer (OS-XPPro), retrieve the files, and then use it as a bulk storage drive. Both HHDs are OEM (no manuals for reference) and both SATA. Can I just add/install the old drive intact (as :E) and revise the BIOS, or is it more complicated than that. The Seagate has a jumper block which is labeled "factory use only", which brings to mind slave/master status, ala IDE.
Thanks in advance for any help.

sturm

Splendid
Add the old drive, make sure that sata port is not set to boot first. Once windows is loaded it should show up in My computer. You can then copy over what you want and then format the drive for storage.

noquarter

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2005
Great, I just wanted to double-check that I wasn't missing something before sliding the drive in.
Thanks for answering. :D

TRENDING THREADS