AMD Barcelona in Action

moocow

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
If it is indeed running two Barcelona, i would think it would run much cooler than the first 4x4's on 90nm. So.......why the fan overkillage? :D :D

Yeah, I am still skeptical that these are really K10 CPU's. But also overkilling on fans is a reasonable thing to do, because AMD would want to be very careful that nothing goes wrong, especially if the CPU is not fully tested yet or if it is clocked up to its limit.

Minerva

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Jeeez, I would have expected the 'net to be crawling with news/benches/etc...

Isn't there any more info yet?

Damn paper launch feeling to it...

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
If it is indeed running two Barcelona, i would think it would run much cooler than the first 4x4's on 90nm. So.......why the fan overkillage? :D :D

Yeah, I am still skeptical that these are really K10 CPU's. But also overkilling on fans is a reasonable thing to do, because AMD would want to be very careful that nothing goes wrong, especially if the CPU is not fully tested yet or if it is clocked up to its limit.Well, i guess if they're 2 quads..the TDP is probably near the 90nm 4x4's....so, i guess it would still pump out a fair bit of heat... but the performance should make the heat easier to accept. :wink:

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Jeeez, I would have expected the 'net to be crawling with news/benches/etc...

Isn't there any more info yet?

Damn paper launch feeling to it...
I have a feeling that productivity/school-work will suck today. Hard to work work/write/type with your fingers crossed... and there will be many. 8)

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
god damn 4x4 looks cool (but hot)

i would love to run that rig with any luck it may be a viable option in about 6 months wait and see time

but as every one has said BENCHES please!!

According to the Tom's article, they are AgenaFX processors not Barcelona. Which is it?

Benches aside, the article did say it was encoding video in real time while maxing out all 8 cores. Even if C2D shows better bench results, 8 cores encoding in real time is pretty friggin' impressive.

At least AMD is not sitting on their hands as some around here have implied. Still a bunch of hurry up and wait tho...

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
2 fans cpu, 4 fan panel, i guess there 1 behind, and an other 1 or 2 on the psu, and maybe 1 in the front. 1 fan per gpu(2). Lets say 10 fans ! With a pressurized tower you should obtain a turbo reactor.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
2 fans cpu, 4 fan panel, i guess there 1 behind, and an other 1 or 2 on the psu, and maybe 1 in the front. 1 fan per gpu(2). Lets say 10 fans ! With a pressurized tower you should obtain a turbo reactor.
You definetely wouldn't want your cat, or small dog walking near it. :)

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
The guy I moved in with got a cat from his gf. Now I gotta clean my rig's filters twice as much. It walks only over my car leaving footprints over the windscreen of the drivers side almost every night, it brings mice into the house and then just let them go, etc.

Don't get me started on the mating, I can't bloody sleep when they decide to have fun...and the people that rented my dad's old house that made me move out (couldn't take it anymore) had 22 cats. The sandboxes could only take so much and then it doesn't help anymore. The smell of that house was horrible. Kinda what made my dad sell the house for way less than what it was worth coz the people couldn't walk through half of the house before going out to catch their breath.

Just thought I'd share my side of the story. Cat's are so impersonal as well. A dog at least gets happy when he sees you.