Status
Not open for further replies.

Hewhospeaksoffloppydisk

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Hello,

I am piecing together an old Thincentre M50 8187 F1U desktop I inherited about 6 mo. ago. So far I have had to replace the cd player the 3.5 floppy drive and recently the hard drive decided to start a new career as a paperweight.

Originally XP PRO w/SP3 was preloaded from the factory. No chance of any data recovery off the paperweight. I installed a spare drive and loaded Windows Millennium. It's all I had. I am trying to find a stable sound driver for this thing, so far I have had intermittent luck with a Realtek AC97 driver I found on the list of drivers in the device manager window. When it stops working I reboot and it engages again.

The chipset is Intel 865/865g

I have been to The intel site and the Lenovo site with no luck.

I really don't want to buy a pci sound card or buy XP PRO right now.

Any ideas or advice?

Thanx

Hewhospeaksoffloppydisk

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011

Thank you for replying.

I know that support for Windows ME is practically non-existent, but at this time it is all I have to work with.

Thank you

Hewhospeaksoffloppydisk

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011

Hello,

I have found all available drivers from both the Intel site and the Lenovo site, the drivers that do load won't work. The available drivers that come with the ME CD are working intermittently. I do not know if it is a compatibility issue or memory issue. The unit was never meant to operate with ME.

I hate to think that my computer is going to become a door stop until I get XP CD.

Thanks

You can just get a cheap sound card to use also. I've worked with a lot of 8187 PCs, they are not bad, but the sound is not very good, and they are limited to an AGP video card. With a bit of work you can make it into a pretty good PC, but if you end up looking to spend around $50 or more to make it usable, you are better off buying a newer used computer with a PCIe slot and DDR400 RAM.

Hewhospeaksoffloppydisk

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011

I found suitable driver and audio codec for sound
You mentioned in last post that comp. was limited to an AGP video card
There are 3 PCI slots on MBoard and in setup utility there is option for PCI/AGP/Integrated
Won't a PCI video card work?

PCI will work but they are all low end. PCI and PCIe are not the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.