Floppy and CD-ROM drive don't work

I can't get Windows XP to recognize my floppy or CD-ROM Drive. When I boot
to Safe Mode, both drives work perfectly so I know the drives are plugged in
properly and aren't defective but when in "Normal" Mode, I always get the
"Please insert a disk into Drive A" error message each time I try to open
the floppy and nothing appears when I open the CD-ROM drive.

Assuming I have a software conflict somewhere, I have run msconfig many
times, using selective start-ups to disable SYSTEM.INI, WIN.INI, Services
and Start-up programs but this hasn't helped to solve the problem. None of
the disabling attempts made the drives work so I haven't been able to narrow
down the source of the problem.

The only time the CD-ROM drive works, temporarily, is upon start-up if a
CD-ROM is inside the drive but as soon as I remove it and stick in another
CD-ROM, Windows fails to recognize it. The floppy never works except in Safe
Mode, as mentioned above. I have no viruses. Does anyone have any
suggestions that might help?

Thank you.

Nick Cellino

Open device manager (there are many ways to get it open, one
is right click My Computer and select Manage). Select the
properties for the drives and check for problems, use the
troubleshooter.

It is even possible that some "joker" disabled the drives.

"Nick Cellino" <mechanic123@mindspring.com> wrote in message
|I can't get Windows XP to recognize my floppy or CD-ROM
Drive. When I boot
| to Safe Mode, both drives work perfectly so I know the
drives are plugged in
| properly and aren't defective but when in "Normal" Mode, I
always get the
| "Please insert a disk into Drive A" error message each
time I try to open
| the floppy and nothing appears when I open the CD-ROM
drive.

| Assuming I have a software conflict somewhere, I have run
msconfig many
| times, using selective start-ups to disable SYSTEM.INI,
WIN.INI, Services
| and Start-up programs but this hasn't helped to solve the
problem. None of
| the disabling attempts made the drives work so I haven't
been able to narrow
| down the source of the problem.
|
| The only time the CD-ROM drive works, temporarily, is upon
start-up if a
| CD-ROM is inside the drive but as soon as I remove it and
stick in another
| CD-ROM, Windows fails to recognize it. The floppy never
works except in Safe
| Mode, as mentioned above. I have no viruses. Does anyone
have any
| suggestions that might help?
|
| Thank you.
|
| Nick Cellino

jeff

Did the two devices work in the past, or are they newly installed?
This could have a bearing on the issue, but I'll make a stab at it with the
info in your post.

Having both devices on different cables attached to different terminals on
the MB go out at the same time is odd.
My first thought is there is a driver conflict since the devices work in
safe mode. Try running system file checker:

At run prompt type: sfc /scannow

if this won't work because you need to insert your XP CD (since CD-ROM
doesn't work) do it in safe mode.

Now with that said, I recently had a repair of a PC that would boot into
safe mode, but would not start in normal mode. The PC had been running fine
for several months and seemed to develop the glitch out of the blue. By
trial and error I discovered this was a hardware issue, the NIC card had
gone bad. Another PC I worked on could not see the secondary master HD, this
problem was solved with a new ribbon cable.

Good Luck
Jeff

"Nick Cellino" <mechanic123@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>I can't get Windows XP to recognize my floppy or CD-ROM Drive. When I boot
> to Safe Mode, both drives work perfectly so I know the drives are plugged
> in
> properly and aren't defective but when in "Normal" Mode, I always get the
> "Please insert a disk into Drive A" error message each time I try to open
> the floppy and nothing appears when I open the CD-ROM drive.
>
> Assuming I have a software conflict somewhere, I have run msconfig many
> times, using selective start-ups to disable SYSTEM.INI, WIN.INI, Services
> and Start-up programs but this hasn't helped to solve the problem. None of
> the disabling attempts made the drives work so I haven't been able to
> narrow
> down the source of the problem.
>
> The only time the CD-ROM drive works, temporarily, is upon start-up if a
> CD-ROM is inside the drive but as soon as I remove it and stick in another
> CD-ROM, Windows fails to recognize it. The floppy never works except in
> Safe
> Mode, as mentioned above. I have no viruses. Does anyone have any
> suggestions that might help?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Nick Cellino

The devices did work in the past. I believe I have finally solved the
problem that has plagued me for weeks.

I searched in Device Manger and found two !Conflicts buried in the System
Devices section. I "uninstalled" both of them, rebooted the computer and
both drives worked!

I would like to thank Jim and Jeff for taking the time to respond to this
issue.

Nick Cellino