Windows 7 Pro 64Bit is Eating Some Keystrokes

defyal

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Hi,

Today I had a power cut whilst using my PC, since then certain keys don't work. These are 1-6, r... and a couple of others I can't remember (sorry). The 1-6 also doesn't work from the numpad.

I have tried a different keyboard and the on-screen keyboard, both give the same result :( But here's the interesting part, if I login as my admin user on the same machine, all keys work fine :??: So it appears to be an issue with my Limited user account.

I've tried changing my keyboard region settings to US, but I had the same issue. I can't perform a system restore as I don't have it running and I can't restore from my backup as I've discovered it hasn't been backing up for the last few months :fou:

One solution would be to create a new limited user account, but in the past after a re-install it takes me a couple of weeks to get my user account configured exactly the way I like it. All those minor config changes you forget about in various applications. So I'm hoping their's an easier way

Does anyone know how I can reset the keyboard key bindings for my user account, or any other suggestions. I'm at a complete loss here, never come across this before.

Thank you in advance,
D

Nisdec

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Are you using a PS2 or USB keyboard?

EDIT: I'm asking that, because ps2 and usb are using different keyboard-protocols to recognize the keystrokes and have different entries in the registry section.