Sign in with
Your question

vista problem

Last response: in Windows Vista
September 8, 2007 11:11:11 PM

ok so here are the basic configs:

Q6600, evga 8800gtx, evga 680i MB, 4gb gskil Ram

and here is the problem, i assemble everything then go to install Vista 64x and everything is working fine in the OS instalation until it says that it will reboot a few times bla bla....then it goes to reboot and it gets the initial vista startup screen and then it goes to the BSOD. if i go to restart it, it gets to the vista loading screen and then directly to a black screen saying that there was a critical error and that it can either start in safe mode or a couple other options but if i do nothing happens. ???? what is wrong??? thanks

More about : vista problem

September 9, 2007 7:20:47 AM

paul17win said:
ok so here are the basic configs:

Q6600, evga 8800gtx, evga 680i MB, 4gb gskil Ram

and here is the problem, i assemble everything then go to install Vista 64x and everything is working fine in the OS instalation until it says that it will reboot a few times bla bla....then it goes to reboot and it gets the initial vista startup screen and then it goes to the BSOD. if i go to restart it, it gets to the vista loading screen and then directly to a black screen saying that there was a critical error and that it can either start in safe mode or a couple other options but if i do nothing happens. ???? what is wrong??? thanks

Try installing the OS with 1 DIMM of RAM is slot one only. In BIOS, set the memory voltage to mfg. specs, 2.0-2.1v. After you have the OS and system drivers installed, install the remaining RAM you have.
m
l
September 9, 2007 2:56:59 PM

ya sorry but what does mfg mean and do you mean just set the memory specs to original spec?? thanks
m
l
Related resources
September 9, 2007 3:33:33 PM

Use one DIMM (piece) of RAM in slot one only. mfg. specs. = manufacturer specifiactions. In BIOS, set the memory voltage setting to 2.0 volts.
m
l
September 10, 2007 3:57:52 AM

ya no luck with that. i tried just booting from my old hard drive which has xp but i would get to the desktop and it would just restart before i could do any thing???? haha this really sucks
m
l
September 10, 2007 4:15:16 AM

Which power supply do you have? Is it new? Also, be sure to plug in 12v leads from the power supplyto the video card. It takes a minimum of 26 amps on the 12v rails to power your 8800gtx properly.
m
l
September 10, 2007 4:34:59 AM

i have a brand new corsair 620w power supply so i dont think its the PS
m
l
September 10, 2007 4:38:44 AM

Do you have the BIOS version that supports the Q6600? be sure to set the RAM voltage to 2.0v in BIOS? Don't expect the system to boot with 4 DIMMS. You don't even have the system drivers installed yet.
m
l
September 10, 2007 4:50:11 AM

how do i know if i have the BIOS for the Q6600? and if not how do i get it. and the ram is 2x2gb
m
l
September 10, 2007 4:52:57 AM

Go on the EVGA website and find which BIOS supports the q6600. I am not familiar with EVGA motherboards. I would use 1 DIMM in slot one only or get a single DIMM of other RAM and try to get into BIOS. Set the memory voltage to 2.0-2.1 (mfg. specs) and load the OS and system drivers before installing 4 GB of RAM.
m
l
September 10, 2007 4:57:47 AM

Not really sure if this helps, but search around the evga support boards for information.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostI...

I fixed it, third install is a charm, here are the steps, for a EVGA 680i MB, EVGA 8800GTX, OCZ Plat Rev 2 RAM. I had to get rid of my 7900GT cards in SLI, which helped this process work possibly.

1) Update MB BIOS to the latest version

2) Have downloaded and ready your latest MB drivers, Video, Sound Card, and any other HW ready on a USB drive.

3) Unplug your Internet network connection! Very important, to avoid Auto update during install i.e. wrong drivers being downloaded for your motherboard/HW causing blue screens. Example Nvidia 590 for a 680i MB.

4) Have all your hardware in except 2GB of RAM, leave those extra sticks out for now.

5) Format and install Vista x64 fresh, again no network cable!

6) Load your drivers starting with your Motherboard chip-set FIRST!, then video, sound, other HW...

7) Reconnect Internet/network cable and do all windows critical updates. Notice, less update then normal because you have the right drivers to start with.

8) Download the KB929777 patch make sure x64 Version 2 (V2).

9) Install your other 2GB after shutting down your PC of course, two reboots and up your voltage .05 or to max that RAM allows. e.g. I went from 2.0 to 2.05 on my OCZ Platinum to run four sticks at 4, 4, 4, 15.

10) stress test and memtest your system with your favorite tools or benchmarks. No blue-screens = your done.

System Specs (no overclocks):

MB = EVGA 680i (P28 Bios, latest 5/7/2007)

RAM = OCZ Platinum Rev 2 DDR2 800 4x1 (2.05 Volts setting) 4GB, finally WOOT

Video GPU = EVGA 8800 GTX, single card no SLI

OS = Vista Home Prem x64 (all patches including KB929777, chip-set etc...)

HD = RAID 0 Western Digital 320GB 16MB cache (RE)

CPU = Intel E6600 2.4Ghz

Enjoy, hope this helps someone, took many hours to get to this.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=66326
m
l
September 10, 2007 5:14:02 AM

ok so i will try all of that but i got vista to install but when i go to install the MB drivers from the CD that came with the MB the install screen comes up when i enter the CD but i cant open any of the catagories like to install the drivers????
m
l
September 10, 2007 5:17:54 AM

Strange. Double click on my computer and try and open the files on the CD. I suppose if you can get there, you could try and install the system drivers that way. Or download them form the internet off the product website.
m
l
!