whats the difference between vista 32 and vista 64??

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
basically i just want to know the differences between vista32 and vista 64..

right now in my uneducated opinion i have of 64, nothing really works, everything is slow and extremely buggy and not worth it at all

so i really know nothing unless what i just said is actually true.

i also heard Microsoft will in the near future discontinue support for 32 bit, is that true?

Im getting a new pc and wondering which i should 'buy'?

Vista 64 will perform much better with 64 bit applications than VISTA 32 will, but VISTA 64 won't be much of a difference with 32 bit applications. So VSTA 32 make work for you. VISTA 64 will allocate and utalize more system RAM than a 32 OS. The drivers situation has improved and with a little searching, VISTA 64 drivers are for the most part available.

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
hmm how exactly do you do that?? like have 2 operating systems??

and also since that deals i guess with multiple hard drives would you be able to explain about having for example a WD raptor X, and lets say a 500 gig wd hard drive.. so i hear all the time people saying you need so and so hard drive for games blablabla so how does it work? do i save all my movies, music, files on the large hard drive while i would save the games on western digital?? or how would that work. and would that mean i would have to install an operating system on both?? i know its a super noob question but im just confused about that aspect of computers.

btw i want to give u more stars but it wont let me rate you..

snyder73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
Aom iPod Video Converter is a High Quality Video to iPod Converter designed to convert your video collection to iPod, By using the latest video to iPod conversion technology, It can easily convert video files from various formats to Video iPod.

http://www.vob-converter.com/vob_to_ipod/

I have success with my OS loaded on a Raptor and a seperate internal slave Sata drive for storage needs. I have three systems set up that way. It works well for me. My main system looks like this (I want to move to Vista 64 Ultimate soon):

Q6600
ASUS P5B-Deluxe
G. Skill PC6400 4GB 4-4-4-12
EVGA 7900GTO 512 MB
WD 150 SATA RAPTOR Vista HP 32
WD 74 SATA RAPTOR Windows XP PRO
WD 250 SATA storage
ASUS DVD-ROM
ASUS DVD-RW Lightscribe
Thermaltake 700 watt quad 12v rail PSU
Thermaltake Mozart tower
Thermaltake media Lab Led Remote control
Zalman 9500 Led HSF
Audigy 2 Soundblaster
Boston Acoustics
Pinnacle Studio 9 PCI
Slingbox Pro Digital Sattelite
BenQ 22” LCD

Vista Experience rating is 5.9.

Mr-Q

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007

I thought a 32 bit OS weren't going to be able to run a 64 bit application.. :)

mhogan35

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Would yall recommend sticking with the 32bit version of Ultimate for gaming then, if I already have that, instead of upgrading to the 64 bit version? Here are my specs:

XFX PVT80GGHD4 GeForce 8800GTS 320MB XXX
ViewSonic Optiquest Series Q20WB Black 20"
GIGABYTE GA-M57SLI-S4 AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
COOLMAX CP-500T EPS12V 500W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, CSA, TUV
Patriot eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Windsor 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor - Retail

Does Vista 64 actively use more system resources than Vista 32? Does it use more ram at an idle state? How much more hard drive space does it take? How many years do you think it will take for Vista 64 to be mainstream? I noticed on Dell's site it seems like they are pushing Vista 32 bit.

No Compatibility Mode or Translation Layer required: It's still all the same API's on the same processor instruction set.

On the processor side:

The CPU reads the actual binary code, which is presented in the form of instructions. These instructions are the "x86" and "x64" that you read/hear about. Now, most people understand that an x86 Processor (pre~2003, 2004) can't run x64 code. That's because the newer standard has commands, syntax, instructions, and data sets that do not exist in the older one. BUT: Understand that the newer x64 instruction set includes everything in the x86 - So any x64 processor can and will fully handle anything that's x86. Indeed, if your processor is a Sempron, P4, or newer, it *is* an x64 processor.

Therefore, as long as the (game) was compiled to the x86 (32bit) standard, the CPU can fully understand and run it because they are still 'speaking' the same language. And the reverse isn't true: Imaging speaking to a grade school child with words and phrases an MBA can use. The kid (older standard) won't understand it. The MBA can fully understand the child, though.

On the side of the OS: There is a similar mechanic, though here it's called an "API" (Application Programming Interface). In very broad terms, it works like the instructions sent to a CPU: These are the commands and formats programmers use to talk to the Operating System, which they use to access system resources like memory and information on the hard drive. You can think of it like the teller window at the bank: It's your way to pass an instruction inside in order to get the result you want. When you go to the teller (API), you have to give her a message (instruction) in the format that that she understands, right? The OS wants to see some Function (Withdrawl), the location required (Account #), and some data set (how much). If you give the teller (OS) that, then you'll get your twenty bucks.

As long as the program (game, whatever) follows the proper API's then it will run on the Operating System.

Therefore: As long as a given (32 bit) game is written to the proper Windows (Vista) API's, and compiled to run on an x86 processor, then it *will* run on 64 bit (Vista).

Generally speaking, when you hear about incompatibilities it's because the programmers who wrote a given application either did not adhere to the proper API spec when they wrote their code, or because they took short cuts (which may no longer work), or because the (new) Operating System's API set is different from the old one.

This is why that 10 year old game, or the printer, or whatever doesn't work any more. The rule "Dont run old sh*t on your new sh*t" exists for a reason, after all :D