Favourite Desktop Environment

What is your favourite Desktop Environment?

• Gnome

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • KDE

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • XFCE

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

It depends on the computer. If it's a relatively modern computer (1 GHz+ CPU, 512 MB+ RAM), I'll use GNOME. If it's an older machine, then I'll use XFCE if it is to be used as a standard desktop type of machine and TWM if I just need to run X and no more, such as with my MythTV computer.

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I like GNOME, but then again it was the first ever Desktop environment I was introduced to on Linux way back when i started off with Fedora Core 2. In truth I've only used KDE a couple of times when I was helping a friend install openSUSE on his box and it was alright, but I don't have enough experience with it to really say anything useful about it. I installed Xubuntu w/ XFCE when i found out that GNOME was too heavy for my mom's old P4 2Ghz machine (512MB ram) and that seemed to work pretty well. I managed to configure it pretty close to the way I liked with the small exception/annoyance that I couldn't get it to bind the windows key to launch a terminal. Instead it would only accept the windows key plus another key to launch something. I am sure, however, that I could probably find a program that remaps keys at the X windows level instead of the DE level, so that could probably be fixed easily. I've also played a bit with FVWM and it is really nice and lightweight, but like KDE i didn't try it that long.

Long story short, KDE, GNOME, fvwm, and XFCE are all great with fvwm and KDE being pretty good based on my short time with them.

-Zorak

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Same here. I have only ever personally used Gnome. I liked it, but who's to say that I might not like another one more?

After seeing this theme, XFCE looks wonderful (I really like black):
http://www.xfce-look.org/content/preview.php?preview=3&id=88170&file1=88170-1.jpg&file2=88170-2.jpg&file3=88170-3.jpg&name=future

But for KDE, these are also both quite appealing:
http://www.kde-look.org/content/preview.php?preview=1&id=76705&file1=76705-1.png&file2=76705-2.png&file3=76705-3.png&name=Xaphire
http://www.kde-look.org/content/preview.php?preview=1&id=77150&file1=77150-1.png&file2=77150-2.jpg&file3=77150-3.jpg&name=Azenis

Haven't looked too much at any Gnome themes yet but I'm sure there are lots that I would like.

What I figure I should do, is just decide which of those themes I like best. Ignore which DE they are, and just pick a theme. Once that is done, that will be the DE I will go with. :s

-Jesse

EDIT: The more I look at it, the more I like http://www.kde-look.org/content/preview.php?preview=1&id=77150&file1=77150-1.png&file2=77150-2.jpg&file3=77150-3.jpg&name=Azenis . That is definitely a possibility.

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Yeah those are pretty nice, althought I will never understand people's fascination/obsession with docks? My interface is pretty simple and clean and i like the way it looks. Pretty much all I have is a system tray and a shortcut to xkill in case a window misbehaves. The theme I use is Linsta 3 on GNOME with a vista compiz theme for glass window borders. I may not like the new MS OS much, but I did like their new look (which, of course I tweaked to my taste because that is what I do ;) ). I'll post a screenshot later.

-Zorak

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Hmm, turns out that you can't upload pictures to tom's forums like i thought i'd be able to :( I'd like to post my screenshots but I don't have a web page to host them at and I am not sure where I could upload them to, oh well.

-Zorak

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
This is what it looks like when there are no windows open. I like it because it looks nice and clean.

And this is with a few windows open.

Hope you like it!

-Zorak

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Glad to see you guys like it :) I think math kicks so much ass, and my background is proof that it can be as beautiful as it is complex. Also, thanks Pyroflea for the compliment on my taste in music :D I like melodic death metal bands like In Flames, Soilwork, and Disarmonia Mundi, so if you have any other good suggestions, feel free to PM me about them :D

-Zorak

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Good choice :) I think it looks nice, but my experience with the new KDE menu is that it is evil, so I would probably change the menu back to the old style if I were using KDE myself. Other than that, it looks pretty good. Isn't having the option to customize great? :D

-Zorak

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Well my friend is hooking me up with a computer which I am supposed to be picking up tomorrow afternoon, so hopefully I can get working on this sooner than later. :) Lots of work to be done, and if it's too overwhelming then a new thread will most likely be created. Thanks for the input everyone.

-Jesse

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Thank you :) Hopefully gonna start next week. Just got XP installed on the rig as of now, but I had stolen the family computer's Monitor for it :)D) so I have to wait until people leave on Monday to use it again. Hopefully then I can start.

-Jesse

the_timonator

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
I like KDE 4 but they broke the menu! however the eye candy gets better with every new release and I hope they the start key in 4.2 . that Azenis is very shiny and it pertty :)