Good hs for my old System

Brutuz

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
I have my Old System, with a Athlon XP (Socket A or 426), a GeForce 6800GS and some good Hdds, I have them in a Coolermaster Centurion 5, and I want it to be silent, as its like a HTPC, In other words, I have a TV tuner in it and I leave my C2D machine on F@H while I watch TV on the Athlon machine, anyway.

Every component has its stock hs/f and although the CPU one is pretty Quiet, I want a silent one, the GfX card one is extremely Noisy too, the case fans are Ok, but the front one is too loud.
So I need a Fan and Heatsink that Will fit on a GeForce 6800GS AGP 512MB (It needs to PCIE to AGP chip cooled and gets 50c Idle, and 70c Load.), and a hsf that will fit on a Athlon XP that gets 51c at Idle, stock, (And for some reason it stays at that when its on load 8O although keep in mind, i Australia, 40c Ambient is normal) I would prefer Silent, but if thats not possible then its ok, it can't be above 30dbs, if there is nothing that would work, Watercooling is OK, but the CPU water block has to be able to go on s775 as well (Sometimes I get high Temps on C2D, even with Arctic Cooling7 Pro)

Doesn't mater about price, as I will be receiving the stuff I get for my B'day.

I'm not sure of availability of specific fans in your area, so I will give you a link to the Recommended fan section of a site that specializes in quiet computing Silent PC Review. If you're going to replace the 80MM fan up front, then you might as well change the 120mm in the rear. This $5 Yate Loon D12SL-12 is a great value and very quiet. Just realize that making one thing quiet lets you hear your other loud components a little better. :lol: In other words, if you replace the system fans and the HSF for your rig, then you may just be able to hear the PSU/HDDs better. For the 6800GS I would go with the Arctic Cooling Accellero X1 or the Zalman VF700-Cu 2. For the Socket 462 Athlon XP, I would put on the Zalman CNPS7000A-CU. Make sure your case is in a well ventilated area and your system won't get as hot and components won't have to work as hard to cool the system. What PSU is in your rig now? It's likely a good source of noise, too.

Brutuz

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
I can find those online for around AU$50 each, I'll be picking up some LED fans at the local Computer Swapmeet tomorrow, and they let us test them before use, so I'll find some Quiet ones that move a lot of Air, my PSU is a Generic 400w one with Two fans (One that goes to inside the case, and takes air in) But I'll be getting a Silverstone ST85F soon, as I'll be using that new Silverstone second one as a backup PSU, and it may as well be used in my old PC, so its not a dust catcher (Well, it still will be, just it will be doing stuff xD) anyway, the fans on this Generic PSU are pretty quiet, and I now the ST85Fs are too, having one already for my C2D machine, I might try some Overclocking for fun on this, I know I can the GfX card to 500/1369 stable, and CPU with an extra 100Mhz stable, with the stock hsf, but I need a nForce2 Mobo to get more Voltage Options If I want to go higher.

I'll see what I can find at Swapmeet and report back.

Brutuz

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
At the Swapmeet I found Some good Coolermaster fans, one 120mm and one 80mm, They replaced the older fans, which I put the old 120mm Fan in the 5" drivebay, cooling a HDD I have in there, along with the old 80mm in that Tunnel thing that cools the CPU more, (Except I don't have that tunnel :p)
Anyway, I found those Zalman and Arctic Cooling fans at PCCasegear
(Here and Here) and I was thinking of getting Some Arctic Silver Ceramique as that will work with the GPU and CPU.

Also, MY Memory is different to the Memory cooler on the Accelero, Mine goes like (Mem being one Module bit)
..............MEM-MEM-MEM-MEM
......................................MEM

And not in the usual circle style way

TRENDING THREADS