System Builder Marathon: Day Three

bgerber

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
We've already built and benchmarked low ($525) and mid cost systems ($1,255). Today's high-end gaming system goes for $3,590. Check it out!

Bobsama

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
I say that the high-end build looks quite good, except for the fact that the QX6700 needs 1 minute in the BIOS to match a X6800 in solo- and dual-core applications. The multiplier is unlocked; just bump it up one (or more) and you'll have an equivalent. Its not very much more either... the price is the same between X6800 and QX6700; $970 at NewEgg--free shipping on both.

Anyways it looks OK but out of reach of most people; I'd have changed the mid-priced build a little bit too (E6420, 320GB hard drive) and dropped the price a little bit.

Phrozt

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
High end is high end for a reason.

I mean, does ANYONE really need a bugatti veyron? It's the fastest car made, but can only run for 12.5 minutes before running out of gas. Does anyone NEED that? no... but is it top of the line? yes.

I am kind of surprised they chose such an ugly case though. There are other high quality cases out there that don't look like they cost $35 at a local computer store.

cleeve

Illustrious
I think it will open eyes when they show the benchmarks vs cost tomorrow, triple the price for 10% gain??? Get real guys.

For sure it will open eyes... that's the point.

There are alot of folks out there who assume performance scales with the amount of dollars spent. The system builder marathon will show those people how it is...

...in addition, there are also those out there who have the money and want to spend it on the latest and greatest. For them, we have data showing what they're getting for being on the sharp edge of high performance.

Just because your average user doesn't find a high-end system like this 'cost effective' doesn't mean people don't buy them, or aren't interested in seeing how they perform.

pdizazzo3

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
Nicely done guys. It is a nice build and I happen to like the case. I prefer the clean look as opposed to the busy look. I always like to have non descript systems that blow the pants off of fancy looking ones.

AS for the choice of system parts, I'm surprised that we did not see an opteron or a Xenon in there. They opteron is undoubtably the fastest thing out there and the Xenon is just behind it, but I guess that would get us into the workstation space.

I am just bursting with fruit flavors waiting for the final articles !!!

umeng2002

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
I would like to see a mixed build. 2 8800 GTX in SLI with a mid-range CPU, 1 7200 rpm HDD, value brand 2*1 GB DDR2-800 RAM, and a $50 sound card. So much money can be saved with a minor performance impact in terms of FPS.

cleeve

Illustrious
I am kind of surprised they chose such an ugly case though. There are other high quality cases out there that don't look like they cost $35 at a local computer store.

Heheh.

Well, when Thomas and I were discussing the case, we figured a Lian-Li was a safe bet because of the quality.

But cases are like paintings: What you hate, the next guy might love, so in these builds the case is more a safe suggestion than something you'd die without. :)

joex444

Distinguished
I think it will open eyes when they show the benchmarks vs cost tomorrow, triple the price for 10% gain??? Get real guys.

IDK where that 10% came from. Check out the FEAR 2560x1600 4xAA/8xAF. Went from 16 to 83. That's somewhere around 420% increase, for a 200% price increase.

All I'm saying, if you game like that then the high end is a) the only one that can b) a better value. Odd... maybe the benchmarks vs cost will open eyes ;)

cleeve

Illustrious
I would like to see a mixed build.

In the final article we fitted the low-end 3800+/1GB of RAM machine with an 8800 GTX and called it the 'Budget Gamer's Special'. Then we pitted it against the e6600/8800 GTS combo which costed more money...

Very interesting results. :)

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I would like to see a mixed build.

In the final article we fitted the low-end 3800+/1GB of RAM machine with an 8800 GTX and called it the 'Budget Gamer's Special'. Then we pitted it against the e6600/8800 GTS combo which costed more money...

Very interesting results. :)

stop making us wait!! tell us!! :)

great articles. I love seeing the discussion sparked as well, you really get some good input and ideas based on what different users want out of their system.

I guess I must be an oddball requiring much more hard drive capacity than most people here. I bought an antec900 case just because it had 6 hard drive bays and fantastic cooling. Mind you, I'm only running 1 500gb hard drive and a 320gb for data. :)

Phrozt

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002

Heheh.

Well, when Thomas and I were discussing the case, we figured a Lian-Li was a safe bet because of the quality.

But cases are like paintings: What you hate, the next guy might love, so in these builds the case is more a safe suggestion than something you'd die without. :)

I was expecting something more like a TT armor series... quality + beauty

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
For $3,600 I could build two or three machines, including my new build. I just don't see the point of spending that much money on a computer. Then again, $3k is rent for 4 months.

I don't know where you live, but around here $3,000 gets you no more than 1 month mortgage in a single family home, 1.5 months mortgage in a condo / townhome or 2.5 to 3 months rent in an apartment, lol.

I do agree the cost could be trimmed down a bit, though I personally lean more towards AMD which in itself saves $$$ over Intel generally. Each platform has it's own strengths and weaknesses clearly and with that said, I believe most people unless they have deep pockets would probably go the cheaper route. Whether that be a comparable high end AMD or slightly cheaper Intel variation. Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions. :)

I'm sure there will be a ton of replies to this article and alot of "here is what I would change; or here is what my configuration would be" postings in the days to come. Hehe.

-- MaSoP

lucernario

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
Obviously this system isn't for everyone. They call the segment enthusiast for a reason: you loose all price judgement for getting the latest technology.

I would rather get the mid-range system and throw in a 8800GTX and that's it. I would have a PC that be good enough for the next five years at $300 a year. The higher end system would cost $718 a year only to play today's games at the highest resolution possible. And I think I'm giving our systems a longer use-life-span than most home users give to their PC's. I like to renew my entire rig every 3 years or so...

Get the mid-range and use the extra bucks to buy the games! You don't NEED such components (even though you WANT them).

Peace.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Today's goal is to build the ultimate gaming system for a relatively high (but not completely unlimited) budget.
Hmmm... So you guys "weren't" going to stuff $20,000 into a tower enclosure? Now that takes the fun out of it for some...

Let your mind loose, and for the same price as a good Mustang GT convertible, you could put together one hell of a machine useful for more than just gaming. Mind you, if I had to choose, I would of course take the tire-screeching topless V8. Seems even Ford at the brink of bankruptcy is a more attractive and sound investment than leading-edge IT.

But back to the article, I was surprised of the good results considering the $3,600 budget. I wonder how much "more" performance a $5,000 build would have produced and how much better it would do overclocked.

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
But you didn't include the cost of the OS... :lol: Just kidding.

I still would have preferred the quad core but I respect you're reasoning especially considering everything is stock clocks.

I would be interesting to see how all three systems compare on price performance at stock and again overclocked. When considering the low and mid range prices many of us on these forums are selecting components that are overclock friendly. Overclock or not the high end will still distinguish itself with the 2 gtx's in sli.

Overall good job on the marathon, next time someone at work asks what blah blah to get I'll probably reference this.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
solid... I am a lian-li fan but not a big one of that particular case. In fact, I like the silverstone better from the midrange. JMO of course, as it is subjective like you said. ;)

Like the soundcard (dubious valued memory and all), but still waiting on an explanation of one missing in the midrange. You qualified the choice for onboard on the low end one and I agree... I am just wondering why the absense of one on the midrange. Really would like to know the logic behind it. (if there was any ;) )

Regardless, this one is certainly high end. Looking forward to seeing what the gamer's special will do. 8O

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
But you didn't include the cost of the OS... :lol: Just kidding.

I still would have preferred the quad core but I respect you're reasoning especially considering everything is stock clocks.

I would be interesting to see how all three systems compare on price performance at stock and again overclocked. When considering the low and mid range prices many of us on these forums are selecting components that are overclock friendly. Overclock or not the high end will still distinguish itself with the 2 gtx's in sli.

Overall good job on the marathon, next time someone at work asks what blah blah to get I'll probably reference this.

I personally rely on stock settings for stability, reliability and the lack of a need to spend extra $$$ for a "better than stock oem" cooling solution. If I had the time and was more deep into gaming and had the wallet to become an enthusiast, I'm sure I'd probably opt for a bit of OC'ing. To each their own I suppose. :) It's all good.

-- MaSoP

sailer

Splendid

For sure it will open eyes... that's the point.

There are alot of folks out there who assume performance scales with the amount of dollars spent. The system builder marathon will show those people how it is...

...in addition, there are also those out there who have the money and want to spend it on the latest and greatest. For them, we have data showing what they're getting for being on the sharp edge of high performance.

Just because your average user doesn't find a high-end system like this 'cost effective' doesn't mean people don't buy them, or aren't interested in seeing how they perform.

Overall, I liked the article. Only real thing I'd change in it would be to add a comparitive test with only one graphics card. Then we could see what, if any, advantage there is in going SLI, especially considering the price/performance ratios.

Oh yeah, like someone else metioned, I didn't care for the case. But big deal, the case doesn't affect performance of the hardware, unless its so restrictive on airflow that the hardware overheats .

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
you can still do a "bit of OC'ing" with stock cooling. I have a 200mhz oc on my 4200, which puts it at a 4600 level of performance. Nothing big, and perfectly stable. No temp diffs between that and stock. (at least nothing that speedfan detects)

meh, anyway... try it sometime. Then if you get bit by the bug you can buy more. ;)

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Overclock. OVERCLOCK!!! :)

Overall a solid build......can't complain for that money. Honestly, the higher you go in budget, the more subjective the choices......Crucial, Corsair, Team Group....all solid RAM choices. Lian-Li, Silverstone, Thermaltake....all solid cases. ETc, etc, etc. So really, the choices are somewhat irrelevant (somewhat) once you get into the $3K + stratosphere budget.

My guess for the roundup:
People will see that dropping 3x the money isn't worth it, unless you need a bigger e-p3nis than the next guy....in which case, money is no object. But for the vast majority of users, the "mid range" build is more than sufficient. For the cost of going up to a "high end", we could all get a 22" monitor, G15 keyboard, DeathAdder or G7 mouse, 5.1 speakers, some games, Internet for 6 months, and still have more than enough left over to get pizza and drinks for months.

So, excellent series, looking forward to the roundup and....overclocking with comparative performance-price analysis? ;)

Someone, somewhere, has got to copy the midrange specs (and options) and sticky it into the Homebuilt section to combat the thousand "What Can I build for $1500" posts that have no end in sight.......... :roll:

Thanks guys.

azeari

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Does it come to anyone's mind that the oblivion test seems more CPU limited than graphics?

Ok its true that the fps drops when we switch from a indoor scene to a outdoor one, but taking a 2nd look at the results shows something interesting, there's only a 3 fps difference between the 1024x768 outdoor test and the 2048x1536 test.

c'mon what do you think? (=

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
How about a super cheap build around a single core Sempron AM2 3000+ then overclock the puppy (just air cooling) and put in the 8800GTX and see what it does. How low can you go? Of course with a dual core going for about $30.00 more it is kinda hard to justify even messing with the old sempron but I'm just curious. :wink:

hjruf1

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
It would be interesting to benchmark an "Ultimate" system" constructed with the best/fastest components of each type and see what the performance comparison would be.