CD Drive shows up in bios but not in XP

Gr3atdane

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Hi, i have searched around the web but have yet to find a solution to my problem so i thought i would ask here

I have an LG DVD-R/RW disc drive, it shows up in bios and i can can boot a cd from it before windows loads, i can eject cd etc, however as soon as Windows XP loads up the drive seems to die and i cannot use the eject button nor does it show up in explorer or device manager. I first thought this might be a hardware problem but ive changed a few leads around without any success. They strange thing is, once in every 10 or so starts it will show up in XP and work/burn fine, and so i am baffled to what the problem may be. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Gr3atdane

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Yea its got the latests firmware on it (i hope that hasnt caused this problem) I dont have another PC to try it in so thats not an option atm. Its just weird as when windows does reconise the drive every so often it doesnt see it as a new drive so window must now its installed. Maybe the next time windows reconises it i should uninstall it from the device driver and see if that makes a difference. I did a dual-boot OS with vista a while back and vista reconised it, leaving me to think its a windows xp problem

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I once had a drive that was not recognized and I tried it in a different PC and it worked, so I reinstalled windows in my PC and my problems with that drive ended.