Can I get Them to work!!!!

gersrt

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
Hi I am in the process of putting together a pc.

My motherboard is a msi rs482m4-ild

I am using an Amd Opteron 175

I recently Purchased 2gb (2x1Gb) ram which has a memory configartion of 128mx64 (thats what it says on the sticker) There are 8 chips each side with 64m written on them.

Anyway when I checked the Motherboard page it says that the motherboard is compatable with 2Mx32 (with 64-bit interface), 4Mx32, 8Mx32 and 16Mx16 memory devices.

So right away there is a problem.

But when I boot up computer the bios see's it as 2gbs. (does this mean its compatible)

When I try to install any Copy of windows I have everything goes fine until the end when its saving settings to finish. I get BSOD saying something like irgl_not_less_not_equal. Every time this happens

Is there anything I can do Short of changing the ram.

Thanks

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Ive never heard of this before, so im not going to claim that i know the answer, but i dont think that a motherboard can ever be picky about how the RAM chips are placed on the modules.

That being said, u still have a problem.
If ur getting the BSOD, it could mean a lot of things. Write the message on a piece of paper and google it. If infact it IS the RAM, then yes, it will have to be replaced..

Ill tell u from my personal experience that the only time when i got a BSOD when trying to install Windows XP, was because of the RAM.. so im not rulling out that possibility.

But the wierd thing is, and this may shock u.. when i got my BSOD for bad RAM, i changed the RAM and everything worked OK.
BUT, when windows was up and running well with the replacement RAM, i tried running it with the RAM that wouldnt let me install it.. and it worked! And thats the RAM im using right now.
So even if its a RAM problem, just get 256MB of DDR2 only for the installation, and see if maybe my theory is correct.

Report back with more.

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
I haven't heard of this problem either. Also suspection faulty ram. Try some other ram first (a friend's or someone) and if that doesnt work we'll look at some more options.

gersrt

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
It works it works.

You are a genious. I installed windows just using one of my sticks of ram. It worked. Then I put my other stick in and guess what machine is booting to windows and showing two gbs.

Thank you so so so much

firemist

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Get a copy of Memtest86 and test your memory. DO NOT believe there is no problem just because the system boots and report the memory size you want. Not all of the memory is tested and stressed when the system is booted. Any one who replaces (or removes) memory because of BSOD and then puts it back in the system and believes it now works is kidding themselves.

Advising you to look at (and try different) memory is good advise. Suggesting you can put the 'bad' memory back in and not worry will only result in system crashes (best case) or bad results (worst case) when the memory fails under stressed conditions again. I can not believe this will remain a respected technical forum with that kind of advise.

It works it works.

You are a genious. I installed windows just using one of my sticks of ram. It worked. Then I put my other stick in and guess what machine is booting to windows and showing two gbs.

Thank you so so so much

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I had a similair situation but instead in just using one stick to install windows and then adding the 2nd stick afterwards, I swapped DIMM slots and everything worked.