I am running into a problem with my sound driver, Soundmax. Recently it developed a bug where randomly when I went to play an audio or movie file (online or files off my computer) the file would play at an extremely fast speed, thus all I would hear was a bunch of static and see my video distort. I ran a few programs to see if I could fix the problem (Add-Aware, Spybot, AVG) and eventually defragmented my hard drive and ran scan disk. Nothing changed. I (foolishly) decided to see if Microsoft could fix the problem on its own. I went to "Add/Remove Program" and clicked "change" for the Soundmax icon. The repair process completely deleted my Soundmax program. I have tried several times to reinstall it, but each time I get the message "driver not detected, restart and try again." The end result is that I have no sound driver, or sound, at all.
The only thing I can think of for why this happened is that I purchased a headphone/microphone headset around the time that all these problems started, but I am clueless to the relationship between the two.
Here are my computer specs:
E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor