Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Free scriptable software for hardware inventory ? anyone?

Last response: in Applications
November 29, 2007 12:35:29 PM

Hello. I am looking for some software that does hardware inventory, and is able to put it into a database of sorts (don't care if it's mysql or access or whatever). Does anyone know of such, but without requiring to buy a complete systems management system? Preferably something like psinfo (sysinternals) with database features, or the like.
It'll have to be executed via a script or command shell or such, cause I don't intend the students (working at a collage) to be bothered by it.

The most important things it'll have to do is list mac addresses on lan adapters, and know the netbios name of the client.
December 4, 2007 6:08:44 AM

Soo many smart people, and none with an answer!
December 4, 2007 7:35:39 AM

neiroatopelcc said:
Hello. I am looking for some software that does hardware inventory, and is able to put it into a database of sorts (don't care if it's mysql or access or whatever). Does anyone know of such, but without requiring to buy a complete systems management system? Preferably something like psinfo (sysinternals) with database features, or the like.
It'll have to be executed via a script or command shell or such, cause I don't intend the students (working at a collage) to be bothered by it.

The most important things it'll have to do is list mac addresses on lan adapters, and know the netbios name of the client.

wireshark
Related resources
December 4, 2007 12:10:04 PM

can u tell me how to make a filter that only captures mac address & netbios name? (or dns name) of the computer? and runs continuous
December 4, 2007 12:35:10 PM

sure read the help file labeled defining and saving filters,
December 5, 2007 10:32:09 AM

Nevermind me asking. Next time I'll ask a brick ; if it answers it'll probably be more useful than this.
April 22, 2010 8:22:57 PM

Maybe a little late but someone else might benefit.

A tool called AuthList will do what your asking. You can create a List of, lets say, servers and drop some columns on it. Then use a script to populate the data. Aside from that, it will tap into multiple systems like SCCM\SCOM\Active Directory\etc and pull back data or build Lists. There's a free and a pro version. You should be able to do what you need with the free though.

Link to AuthList
www.progressiveworkssoftware.com
April 22, 2010 8:58:13 PM

ye very late
I ended using vbs scripts querying wmi from the login script. not as elegant, but worked
Anonymous
September 29, 2010 7:46:03 PM

in our company we use Lansweeper Hardware inventory software, it can be integrated with active directory, and it also has the possibility to fill in a few customizable fields, so that might be what you are looking for. a freeware version is available from their site, so the ideal stuff to give it a shot!
September 29, 2010 8:24:46 PM

Dude the threat's serveral years old? why'd you even stumble upon it?

Anyway, we switched to sccm a while back, so it's no longer needed - besides the vbs script still works in windows 7 :) 
September 30, 2010 3:55:50 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!