Access Denied/Need Permission for LOTS of my files. Can't open. HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

crewxp

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
Hey, I have a problem. I have my two sata hard drives partitioned into 3 parts. On One part (Drive E), theres a couple of files that have been there for a while (from previous windows installations), and I can't access them anymore. It's been like this for a while.

If I try to move or copy them, Vista says "You need permission to perform this action. Try Again. Cancel". If I use CMD to do it, it says Access Denied. If I try opening the videos files that are like that, the video player says File not Found.

I've tried botting in safe mode, enabling and logging in as the administrator (both in regular windows and safe mode), tried loading the vista installation cd, and using command prompt to copy the files.... but it says "Access Denied".

I've tried taking ownership using takeown or cacls, NO LUCK! I've also tried right clicking, properties, and messing with the security settings, still.. NO LUCK.

I've been at this for about a month, trying different things.

---

Anyone have any suggestions or a solution to how I can access those files?

ps: Running Vista 32bit, Ultimate Ed.

G

high i am having the same problem but I'm running windows XP. How did you get the certificates and if you can break it down for me it would really help thanks.

mandonstacy

Distinguished
May 4, 2009

hello crewxp, I am having the exact same problem. Can you send me the certificates and breakdown please. thanks

xp_user

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
hey, i'm having a similar problem. when my uncle set up my computer for me, my login was just "Administrator". after a year, my girlfriend asked if she could have her own user. i went in and made her one, but, it said i have to make her an admin for some reason, then when i logged onto her, my account disappeared. the files and folders are all still there, and i can give permission to them, but there are tons of files. it has all my music and photo's on there. thats like 5-6 thousand pictures. there just taking up room. is there any way to apply the permissions to ALL of the files at once? i've tried the "Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects." but it doesn't work.

Please, if anyone has an idea, i need the help.
Thank you

Hi, try THIS, is the same process for Win Vista

xp_user

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Thank you, but thats what i tried first :(. using that method, i can get permission for each individual file, but I've got a lot of files. when i use that method to try and give me permission to all of the files at once, it won't work.

i hope that makes sense to someone :??: i'm not the best with computers.

Hari bol

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011

Hare Krishna

Your major issue was that your initial (Administrator)account with all its content went missing.
Go to control panel / user accounts /user accounts / Change the way users login and logout
once there untick the 'use the welcome screen ' apply options then restart ur pc

the above steps will change the way u login to ur pc. now u will be required to enter user name and password to access ur a/c. so in user name type [the name of the lost a/c] in ur case "Administrator" n enter the password if u had any then login.

Now that will give u access to the lost a/c ....copy all the files to a usb stick / hard disk bla bla bla....u knw d rest.

Hope this gets what u were looking for

gerehadush

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
I am trying to deny my fils from deleting from my friendes nowinglly or not. assidentally when I trying to chang access permission my hard derve becames denied how can I make it accessible even thogh my account is admin? halp me pls

Status
Not open for further replies.