CoffinDancer

Distinguished
May 10, 2005

I got a message saying my computer had to physical memory dump and I saw a
blue stop screen, Anyone know what that is about?

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:4F1CF1E7-5BD3-48F3-B15B-8277E1D0A3D3@microsoft.com,
Coffindancer <Coffindancer@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I got a message saying my computer had to physical memory dump and I
> saw a blue stop screen, Anyone know what that is about?

Not without more details. What did said screen have to tell you about the
crash?

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Hi

Could you please post the Stop Code from the BSOD?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Coffindancer" <Coffindancer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I got a message saying my computer had to physical memory dump and I saw a
> blue stop screen, Anyone know what that is about?

CoffinDancer

Distinguished
May 10, 2005

I have the dump file that is it. Is there a program that can read what is in
the dmp file?

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Could you please post the Stop Code from the BSOD?
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Coffindancer" <Coffindancer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I got a message saying my computer had to physical memory dump and I saw a
> > blue stop screen, Anyone know what that is about?

On Tue, 10 May 2005 08:38:01 -0700, Coffindancer
<Coffindancer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have the dump file that is it. Is there a program that can read what is in
>the dmp file?
>
>"Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Could you please post the Stop Code from the BSOD?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Coffindancer" <Coffindancer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I got a message saying my computer had to physical memory dump and I saw a
>> > blue stop screen, Anyone know what that is about?

There's dumpchk.exe from the support tools, or take a look
in the event viewer - perhaps some details about the STOP
will be in there.
Dave

Hi, Coffindancer.

Rather than try to read the dump file, why not just change the default
settings so that you can read the Stop code directly from the BSOD?

Go to System Properties | Advanced | Startup and Recovery \ Settings. Under
(what to do in case of) System failure, remove the check from Automatically
restart. Next time the problem happens, your computer will halt with the
BSOD onscreen. You'll still have to reboot - by pressing your computer's
Reset button - but you'll have all the time you need to read the codes, copy
them down VERBATIM, and post them here. With the codes, some guru (not me!)
should be able to point you toward a solution.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

>I have the dump file that is it. Is there a program that can read what is
>in
> the dmp file?
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Could you please post the Stop Code from the BSOD?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Coffindancer" <Coffindancer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I got a message saying my computer had to physical memory dump and I saw
>> > blue stop screen, Anyone know what that is about?

Coffindancer <Coffindancer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have the dump file that is it. Is there a program that can read what is in
>the dmp file?

The dump file is for detailed investigation by Systems Programmers,
and that is usually not required, at least not until after the simpler
solutions have been tried.

When these errors happen the essential information is the Stop Code
and the 4 parameter codes that follow it. Often, but not always,
there will be some additional text that includes the name of a file or
device driver that was involved in the error.

That information can be used to determine a lot of information about
the error and what caused it. A good starting point for referencing
these errors is MVP Jim Eshelman's STOP errors web page at
http://www.aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

If you did not make note of the STOP message details when the error
happened and the error is not recurring then you can still find out
the information provided you know the date and time that it occurred.
To do this right-click on "My Computer" and select Manage.
Next click on the + sign in front of the Event Viewer category to show
the 3 subcategories in the left panel.
Select each subcategory in turn and browse through through the event
listing in the right panel to locate red-flagged error entries whose
date and time stamp corresponds to when the Blue Screen error
happened.
Double-click on an error record to see the details of that error.
Post the details information back here for further advice and
assistance.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Hi

Go into the Event Viewer - from Start>Run type

eventvwr.msc

and expand the folders in the left hand column. Look for any errors - if
you see one double click on it then have a look at the number that comes
after 'Error code'. Can you please post that?