RayinDE

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2007
Using HP recovery tools my sister turned her 3 year old media center (m370n) PC into a doorstop. Rather than trying to undo what has been done, I would prefer to do a clean install.

Unfortunately, if the computer came with an install or full version OS disc, she no longer has it. My question is if I purchase an OEM copy of XP, will I have problems with Microsoft's registration process? I suspect not since it will be the first time the OEM key will be tied to the MB serial number. Right?

Thank you,

Ray

You can install windows from the OEM CD you have, but you will have to find the system drivers and utilities for your Mb. The system CD you lost also contained and loaded those files. The OEM Windows CD does not.

RayinDE

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2007
Thanks for the replies and that link.

I pulled her HDD and put it my PC to back up her files. The HDD has an HP_RECOVERY partition. Perhaps there was no disc to lose.

She ran 'system restore' which appears to be a install-in-place. The computer stops at the Windows splash screen with a config error: call customer service code:'orange'. I pulled all but the video card and memory and got the same result.

I intend to run the advanced 'system restore' which appears to be a clean install.