HELP..I cloned the harddrive and now get bsod

gofasted

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
I took the hard drive out of the computer ( used as a interface for a press ) and hooked it up as a usb drive to clone it so I would have a back up if the drive ever crashed, after cloning I took the hdd and put it back in the system and get the inaccessible boot device...after looking I think the problem is the fact that the drive letter was changed to g drive...looked at microsoft and found 1 repair but when I do the reg edit to delete the primary disk group it tells me i need to look in system and then dmio ( the repair is for windows 2000 ) and there is no dmio in windows nt work station...I really really need to get this fixed and know nothing about this operating system...any Ideas on how to fix this would be a HUGE help...thanks

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
If all you did was pull the drive out, clone it, and then put it back in the same physical location it was prior, I don't see that causing a problem.

Where is this g drive stuff coming from? Are you saying that was the drive letter assigned to the disk when you transfered it to USB to be cloned? ( I am assuming you have access to a second, working pc?) If yes, I don't see that causing a problem as far as putting the drive back in the other system and booting right up......assuming you didn't change any jumpers or put it in the wrong connector....

Sorry I can't provide anything more detailed but your post is sort of vague. If you could describe the issue with more detail it would help.

gofasted

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
i used usb to ide adapters and plugged them into my laptop, it has two drive letters already in the laptop so when i plugged the blank hdd and the one with the nt system it ..the xp system assigned them drive f and drive g as logical drives but when I was done aparently the drive letter stayed on the drive????...i checked with ms and they werent much help other then to say that the drive letter change will give you the bsod..and their fix would work...if I had 2000 but i have nt workstation

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Well as far as I know, the path assigned to a drive by a system is just that, a path assigned by that system....move the drive to another system and it will assign new paths....

Like I said before, If all you did was pull the drive out, clone it, and then put it back in the same physical location it was prior, I don't see that causing a problem.

Note the entire message on the BSOD and post it here (I know they all look alike but there is actually a very detailed code so be sure to be accurate.)

G

Inaccessible boot device is caused by a corrupted file system. You need to boot from a Windows CD and run chkdsk c: /p/r until there are no errors.