FluxFlux

It looked interesting, the install seemed VERY simple... it just did not work! As for the name it's produced by a German dude so who knows.. at least it's not HoffOS!!

Lots of people on the forum reported good results but after half a day messing with it I gave up and installed the latests Ubuntu eee. The new version comes with the netbook remix GUI. At first I was seriously unconvinced but having used it a little this evening whilst finishing off the config I have to say it's actually rather good. Not the thing for a Gentoo head perhaps but a really clean interface for low res small displays. To my mind its leaps above the Xandros crud that it shipped with. When the 8.10 based build comes out and they add the easy switch to any other window manager it really does look like it might be shipped with a few of the new netbooks.

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Yeah I was going to suggest that you just stick with ubuntu eee and see if you could get an alternate lightweight DE to run on it like maybe XFCE or fluxbox or maybe FVWM if you want to go REALLY barebones :p

Don't get me wrong, I liked my time with Ubuntu, but I just liked Fedora more, and Gentoo puts both of them firmly in the shade :) Then again, my memories of Fedora are a tad skewed because it was my first Linux distro (and therefore has special relevance for me), but that was way back during FC2-6 days, so it's been a while. Maybe they have gone downhill from before, but I just don't know.

-Zorak

Edit: all this talk about Fedora and nostalgia makes me think that if/when I decide to buy a laptop, I will dual boot gentoo / and FC2. Gentoo for real use, and FC2 "JFTFOI" ;)

@Zorak - The trouble with Fedora on the eee is that it is not as fully featured as a debian based distro. Xandros being debian based means that you can use existing packages for drivers. Fedora (eeeDora) is still lacking full support.

@ijack - Except those that have better things to do with their time than complile! ;)

Except those that have better things to do with their time than complile!
It's not as if you have to do it by hand! I just run
Code:
emerge --update world
from time to time and let it do it's thing whilst I get on with other stuff. And I end up with binaries optimized for my system, so I probably save time in the long run.

You still have to compile, still have to leave your computer on for hours (mine is too loud to sleep as it has to live next to my bed due to space constraints).

I've nothing against Gentoo but it is not the holy grail. If you can show me where you gain several hours of productivity from binaries that are (from what I have read) only marginally faster I'd love to know.

Each to their own. I like to have as much control over my system as possible, which is why I like Gentoo and the very similar (Gentoo must have borrowed from it) Portage system in FreeBSD. Compiling is no problem to me - my computer is reasonably fast and reasonably quiet so, with regular updates, it's only a matter of an hour or less to do the updates. I'm normally using my computer that long for something else anyway.

Others like to go for the pre-packaged route - ye gods, some even go for Windows - as it suits them better. My remark about everyone migrating to Gentoo eventually was a little flippant. But for me it provides the right balance of convenience and control. One day I'll move on to an LFS setup!

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Haha, when you move to LFS ijack, document it here like I documented my Gentoo migration! I'd like to read about it. Also, portage is very much based on the BSD ports idea, or at least that is what wiki says, and wiki is a pretty good source of information on these kinds of things. Anyways audiovoodoo, I wasn't quite suggesting Fedora on eee, just on a desktop system in general. I guess I got a bit off topic there, so I apologize. Also, I didn't mean to start a distro war here. I like them all as I've said, and when I said Gentoo puts them all in the shade, I probably should have qualified that by saying "for me". I know you could probably accomplish just as much with precompiled binary distros like Ubuntu and Fedora or Arch if you want really optimized stuff. Still others would chose debian or slackware or Xandros or Mandriva &c &c ad nauseam and I LOVE that we get to have that choice! But for me, Gentoo just works better because it accomplishes two personal goals of mine. The first and most important being learning more about each part of Linux, which is most easily done by putting everything together yourself. And the second is having an almost 100% custom system. I view Gentoo as an extension of my love for assembling computers myself. I get to pick all the parts and put everything together. Some people would rather just have a system up and running and that is all well and good for them, but for me that would be missing the point entirely. While there may only be marginal gains to be had by going the Gentoo route, I don't think that my efforts were fruitless. I learned quite a bit along the way and have been introduced to yet another great OS with a very supportive/helpful community and great documentation.

So, at the risk of sounding like a "copy-cat" after ijack's post. To each their own, and let us all work together to try and maximize good choices for everyone. After all, we all profit from more good choices to pick from!

-Zorak

ijack - I did take it as such :) Most people round here know my style (or lack there of) so it's all cool.

I'll be honest it's only been time, motivaton and bandwidth (don't ask! I'm in a shared house with a capped usage) that prevents me. I've also had to spend the last few months in the land of Vista as I needed to get my skills back up to speed for work.

Well.. I left that job yesterday (I refuse to support untested software and without the tools to do my job!) so you never know.. there might be a few questions posted here over the next week or so...